We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

fraud help

ashleycardwell94
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello and thanks for looking at this.

What happened: I sold an Acer aspire one zg5 netbook on ebay and it was purchased with an account with 0 feedback. no history. First "Faulty email":

"

Dear Ashley Cardwel,

You received a payment of 110.00 GBP from rose338411 ([email protected]) Thanks for using PayPal. You can now send any items. To see all the transaction details, log in to your PayPal account.

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

Note: You may now ship the item to the verified address below as we have your fund with us in your PayPal escrow account. The fund may take some time to reflect in your account due to upgrade in our network.Please bear with us.

rose338411 [email protected] Note to seller Please get item shipped as soon as possible and email me the tracking number at this email.

"

Firstly, my surname is spelt incorrectly. Also, there was a Nigerian postal address. { Alarm Bells Triggered }

email header: from [email protected]

Then an email fromm ebay.

Dear rose338411,

We recommend that you go ahead and post the eBay item Acer aspire one ZG5 AOA110 - 1 DAY AUCTION (300550255789) bought from you by Rose Akinyemi (rose338411) as soon as possible today and email the tracking number to us as a proof of postage, please do not disregard this reminder. We have investigated the transaction with PayPal, the payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and waiting for you to clear from PayPal escrow account by posting the item and email the tracking number to PayPal for fund processing into your account.

To avoid Unposted item strikes and account suspension, we advise you to post the item within 12hrs to the buyer's shipping address given for the transaction by PayPal as stated below.

Note, the email was addressed to her!

email header from:

Third email

Dear Ashley Cardwell ([email protected]),

Thanks for using PayPal. Mrs Aleisha Akinyemi has requested the item she bought from you to be posted via ROYAL MAIL INTERNATIONAL RECORDED DELIVERY and she has made £30.00 GBP available for the shipping and handling so these item can be deliver to her SON in WEST AFRICA. She explained further the main reason why she want the item to be posted to WEST AFRICA. We have look into these and we discovered that truly her SON work with UNICEF and he's truly in Nigeria. We therefore urge you to complete these transaction within the next 12HRS and get back to us with the shipment details so your account can be credited. Immediately PayPal has received the shipping reference number for the item posted to the buyers delivery address, then the funds would be transferred into your PayPal account. The buyers delivery address is stated below.

I almost fell for this email as it had a Transaction ID: 97T59133YD753953Y

i copied and pasted it and well i got this from paypal: "You can only view the Transaction Details of transactions listed in your History log."

and that tipped the scales. I have now replied with the following

"Dear Rose, or is it "Mrs Aleisha Akinyemi"? I know this purchase is fraudulent and i refuse to ship the item as i have not been credited via paypal, the paypal transaction ID was fake and the email i received via ebay is addressed to you. I will report you to local authorities and to ebay.

Sorry, but bad luck this time.

good luck next time, shame about your AIDS

with love

Ashley"

please be aware of the email addresses listed above. if you have gmail: go to your email, "settings", "labs" and then enable "Authentication icon for verified senders"

i enabled it and it shows a padlock next to genuine emails. the ones i received didn't.

Thanks for reading feel free to comment on personal experiences.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

email addresses:

[email protected]

[email protected] ebay username

rose338411

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Whats the point in writing all the above, especially stating email addresses, including your own. Its a well known scam and its been going on for years. Alarm bells should have been ringing loud and clear, right from the beginning perhaps. Does PayPal still use Escrow?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers