We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transfer xp pro onto extra partition

Bribabby

Likes # 0

I have a netbook with windows home in Spanish. The netbook has a drive d partition of 75 gb. I have an old version of xp pro in English which I would like to put on this drive, however when I try to install it I get the message "The version you have is newer than the one you are trying to install" Is there a workaround or do I have to format the xp home to install the xp pro?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No one seems to have beaten this yet without formatting and starting again.

I wonder if you could stop XP pro CD seeing XP home then it should allow you to install (just make sure you install to the D partition to prevent overwriting Home.

First make sure you can boot from CD or USB as the following will stop it booting from HDD

Try taking NTLDR and NTDETECT and boot.ini from the route of C: drive, place in a folder ready to go back later, then see if the XP pro disk finds the Home installation. If not then install Pro to D: and edit the boot.ini so that it sees both versions of XP.

Like this post
Bribabby

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info'but how do I do the last part of the message, I'm a silver surfer, and that info' (NTLDR and NTDETECT) is summat new to me. Are these items in the Registry?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No they are three files NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.ini on C: drive

use explorer to create a new folder and drag the three files into the new folder.

Beware without these files Windows will not boot so you must be able to boot from the XP CD or a Live Linux CD to be able to put them back if XP pro CD still refuses to install.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia