We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

scanner won't scan negatives

bobbyalec

Likes # 0

Hi, and thanks in advance for advice offered.

I have an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner but when I try to scan negatives, on their own or in the holding clip, it either shows a small rectangle with no detail or a black/white outline of the holding clip!

Obviously I am doing something wrong in the initial setup, but what can it be?

Let me know if you need more info, but thanks again anyway.

bobbyalec

Like this post
Eric10

Likes # 0

Is this any help? link text

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you choosing colour negative film or positive film as the source?

Like this post
malgall

Likes # 0

agree with above you need to tell scanner what it is scanning

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As in the link, you need to tell the scanner what you are doing in Scanner Properties

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

i know it sounds obvious but have you taken of the cover from the lid of the scanner as there is usually a light there,and you have to tell the software what your scanning i.e. slide/negative.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

I agree with mole44, it does sound as though you havent removed the white cover on the inside of the lid...........I've got the Epson V3000 - quite an old machine now, but looking at your model the basic operation is the same.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Well on my epson you already have the cover of thats where the neg holders are kept

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

eedcam

Yes mine is the same, the slide/negative holder is stored behind the white cover, however when my missus tried it she removed the cover, took the holder out and then carefully clicked the cover back in place!!

And they say men never read the instructions!!

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Sea Dod Lol I like it

Like this post
bobbyalec

Likes # 0

Hi folks - is my face red! I later found the shortcut to "User's Manual" which clarifies the query - once you can find the bit that deals with the problem (not exactly straightforward......!!!!).

bobbyalec

ps the new revamped format of the forum seems to have lost the box you tick to say satisfied with replies, at least I can't find it. There seems to be a "bubble" to tick in the summary page of posts but it won't accept my efforts to tick it!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes