We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to use ethernet cabling built in to the house?

fatpercy
Resolved

Likes # 0

The wif-fi signal in our house is terrible so we've had ethernet cabling put in to the walls as part of a recent building project. So with great excitement i took the (dell) laptop into the kitchen and plugged the computer in with an ethernet cable to the wall socket. The laptop told me i had fair wi-fi (ironically better than usual!) but no network cable was detected. The router (linksys) is in the study plugged into the broadband socket. Do I have to move the whole router/power etc and plug it into the ethernet socket in the kitchen? Losing the will to live as what's the point of having the ethernet cabling hardwired into the house if you have to move the router each time from room to room? Also if that really is the case does each room need a separate router and if so how do they speak to each other?

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

are the Sockets patched in ?

Correct way to have got this setup would to have a patch panel or a switch and then each socket around the house would be patched into the patch panel / switch and then the router/Modem connected to the switch to provide internet access

Like this post  
fatpercy

Likes # 0

Thanks so much for replying - the guy who installed it did our electrics and was hopeless - at least now i know what to ask!

Like this post
Yokel

Likes # 0

Ideally the ethernet socket in each room would be connected to a central point perhaps alongside the BT master socket with the router connected directly to the master socket. Then each room can be patched to the router/modem as required, a patch panel is a tidy method. If the master socket has an ADSL splitter/filter faceplate then no other filters are required.

I have this arrangement (with ten wall points) currently used for two PCs, network disk and TV so each has access to the other and permanent simultaneous internet. The cabling was built in to the house from new so there are mains sockets to hand alongside the master socket. Fast, reliable and secure. Search on 'structured wiring', 'home network' etc.

Tom

Like this post
maggotdrowner

Likes # 0

It could be that the central switch is in place but power not switched on. You should have been asked where you wanted it siting which in a domestic situation is usually out of sight like in the loft or under stairs in cupboard. You need to know exactly what was installed to understand where any problem could be.

Like this post
madmands78

Likes # 0

I went for the totally different approach and used the powerline adapter option with a switch. Excellent connection all the time and never having to worry about the cables in the wall. You pug one with ethernet cable into the hub and then have one in my living room with a switch that connects my TV, BlueRay, Wii and PC leaving me an extra port for using whaen I need. I also have a plug in my room and my daughters room. No need for extra extention cables as you can get the 1's that plug into the wall then you can plug your surge protector in to this.

Like this post
fatpercy

Likes # 0

I'm afraid I wasn't asked about any switch - I have a sinking feeling that the cabling's been put in the attic and the kitchen and meets in the airing cupboard but isn't connected to the main BT socket at all. So if I did ask for a switch I'd need to get more cabling put in through finished walls etc which I'm not keen to do. Should the ether net sockets work even if this is the case but I do move the router around?

I'm not really clear what the powerline adapter option is - is this something I buy per socket or is it a system? So near and yet so far....

thanks again

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added