We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MS Removal Tool Hoax software

Caine57
Resolved

Likes # 0

My wife's computer got infected with the removal tool hoax software that disables everything. We couldn't make the uninstall process work so ended up doing a factory reset. And then my daughter on another computer encountered the same hoax dialogue boxes and we just caught it in time before she downloaded the hoax software (nightmare!!). All they were doing was copying images for school work. Is there an increase in this particular virus/hoax attached to clip-art sites and downloadable images?? Has anyone had this and found an easy way of removing it?? That's half of my bank holiday gone!!!!!:-(

Like this post
PSF

Likes # 0

Install and run Malwarebytes, keep it updated and run full scan at least once a week. This should help keep your pc's clean. It is a free version. http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What anti-virus program are you running? Regardless of your security programs you still have to be careful on which sites you visit and click on.

Like this post
Caine57

Likes # 0

we're running MS Essentials on all our machines. I tried malwarebytes in safe-mode on the originally infected PC but it didn't pick anything up. That was when we abandoned rescue and went for reset!!!

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Most of the fake av /spywrae apps disable the use of Applications like malwarebytes and your AV and things like task manager ect

So ...

The easiest way to remove these fake AV /Spyware Apps is to look in C:\documents and settings\All users\Application Data and look for a oddly named folder eg 144343535 rename the .exe to .bak and reboot the machine because the file is no longer running everything should be back to normal. At this stage i run malware bytes to remove reg keys/left over folders ect

There quite easy to remove once you know how to get rid

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've always found the Bleepingcomputer guides a good way of getting rid.

link text

Like this post
Caine57

Likes # 0

Thanks c4rm0, if we get it again I'll try that route. But we are all hypersensitive now!! Thanks for everyone's comments.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'