We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

star shaped icon appeared on acer netbook desktop

polly100

Likes # 0

I cannot remove this icon, nor access the internet. I assume this to be some form of malware? I have CCleaner and other malware tools on a usb stick, but when I insert it and navigate to the folder containing the software the programme icons are replaced by the same star symbol and I cannot access the software to run it. The OS is some variant of Linux, I don't know which though. Can anyone advise how to get to the Linux equivalent of safe mode, or better still, what this is and how to remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
dororof

Likes # 0

link text

Have you tried this reply to your question here.? Do you know the model number so we can verify the installed distro,I believe it could be Linpus Lite.?

link text

Like this post
polly100

Likes # 0

Hi, yes have seen this reply and have tried to follow the advice, but I get a message saying '[user@localhost ~}$ When I reset and clear this info and try to type anything in to this window I am unable to save the modified text?

The model is an acer aspire one, model no. ZG5.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite