We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Automatic updates turned off? No it isn't!!

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, sorry for all the posts but i seem to have done everything possible to my friend's laptop to clear it of viruses/malware but now i have a message in my task bar teling me that my automatic updated are turned off...but they aren't when i check!! Please please may i trouble someone to help me with this?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Microsoft Automatic Updates are turned off. That will be what it means.So not sure if it is the same updates that you mean. Try HitmanPro and see if that finds any more problems.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It may be one of the Services that relies on it. Check Control Panel/Admin/services/ Automatic Updates, should be set to Automatic

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you rdave, just a quick question- I followed the instructions, below:

Type this command and press Enter:

But am struggling with this instruction:

*net stop winmgmt

Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.*

......i dont know how to 'use' windows explorer or how to start it..or to get to it? (sorry for this)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

To Start Windows Explorer, Press the Windows Key the one with the Flag Plus the E key, then click on My Computer + to expand C:\

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you Woodchip, i have done that but cannot see a folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository

Please could you assist me with this?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

*Thank you Woodchip, i have done that but cannot see a folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository Please could you assist me with this?*

Or anyone else please?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

%windir% normally means C, Windows. So, expand C, then Windows. There you'll see the System32 folder, and within that will be Wbem, and within that, Repository

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Have read here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, i have followed this but i get the 'Access is denied' message when i try to rename is...even though the Windows command window says 'The Windows Management Instrumenatation service was stopped successfully'?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED