We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ethernet cabling

amonra
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been trying to help a friend get broadband at his home but he so is far from the exchange the router is just about coping, it loses its lock quite easily and takes ages to re-establish. BT engineers cant (wont?) help. His neigbour has a constant signal and says it works OK. Now my question is, how far can we go with connecting HIS router to my friend's computer with a long ethernet cable ? What's the maximum distance that one can go on ethernet cabling ? As another extreme solution, has anyone had experience of ethernet to optical fibre cabling ? The things we do for friends !!!!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If he is on Wireless change the channel in the Wireless settings of the router, till you get it to stay connected

Like this post
Proclaimer

Likes # 1

the maximum length for a CAT5 cable segment is 100 meters (328 feet). If longer runs are required, then an active repeater, or a switch, will be required to keep the date at max speed, that is on 100 Mbit/s networks.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Perhaps your friends router is faulty, Has a different router and all the other bits & pieces been tried?

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

Thank you proclaimer, that's the response I was looking for. Thanks also to the rest of you for taking the trouble to reply. I'll tick this as resolved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance