We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows None essential Updates

amyjen7

Likes # 0

I have 4 nonessential up dates "nVidia - Display, Other hardware - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT Update for Windows Vista - English (KB937286) VIA - Network - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter LG - Display - LG L226W(Digital)" I am always nervous of messing things up by adding up dates although all 4 are applicable to hardware on my PC. As anyone got any views on this please? Kind regards Keith

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 1

Updates from nVidia are for your display and graphics cards. Often these need not be installed unless you are an avid gamer, in which case they may well help some games run better.

The Vista update is for the 'Help' facility within Windows which can be of value in the event of a problem.

The last is a driver update for the ethernet adapter within your motherboard.

Whilst all four are optional, I find that installing such updates may make the PC run smoother/quicker and may prevent other updates clashing with some software. Certainly some are quite large, but can be downloaded/installed when you have little to do.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded