We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Updates

amyjen7

Likes # 0

Hope everyone is enjoying the sunshine. I run Vista home premium & Norton Protects my PC. Despite several attempts I have been unable to down load 2 updates "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2446708)"& "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332)".I get error Codes 66A & 42D9. I don't know how important they are but would appreciate guidance. Kind Regards Keith

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes install them

you can always "roll back" the drivers if they cause problems but its unlikely.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Some commercial software needs .NET Framework to run properly. The reason it will not install is probably because one of the .NET Framework modules is broken - not an uncommon occurrence.

You could try going to 'Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs' locate the 'Microsoft .NET Framework' units and click on 'Change/Remove' for each in turn. When the unit loads you should open a window offering options of repair or remove, Select 'Repair' and allow Windows to reinstall the software from the package on your HDD. If no option is provided you will get an 'are you certain' window which you should Cancel and move onto the next.

If the above fails you will need to remove all .NET Framework components and reinstall as detailed here link text

For the second problem this may help link text

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

"Yes install them

you can always "roll back" the drivers if they cause problems but its unlikely."

I don't understand your response to this???

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ignore my post it was for another thread not sure how it manage to get posted here :0)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

It should have been posted on Wort's other thread.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Another 'feature' of the new site it would appear :0)

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Not a lot of help but see my response to this thread:link text

Like this post
amyjen7

Likes # 0

John Drew Great advise, easy instructions to follow the down load of "Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 " complete but still can't sort out & download "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332)".Only hope someone out their may have a simple solution. Meanwhile have hidden down load to stop it keep popping up Kind regards Wort

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sometimes updates will not download if the computer is infected by Malware. Maybe give HitmanPro or MalwareBytes a run just to make sure the computer is clean.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Wort

Try the MS solution to your second problem link text It may not work first time but if not not at the second attempt have a look at link text. There are also some indications that running 'sfc/ scannow' (you can cut/paste this into the 'Start/Run' box without the quotes) may cure the problem - have your Windows CD to hand as it may be needed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......