We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

mobile broadband

scoobydoo12

Likes # 0

Hi I am using vodafone mobile broadband while on holiday. I am able to receive emails but am having a problem sending them. There is no error message it just times out. I have rebooted laptop but am getting nowhere - had the same problem a few weeks ago - the email i was sending just sat in my outbox until I got home. Any suggestions appreciated

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The general rule is that you must send mail using the SMTP server of the ISP with which you are connected to the internet. At the moment, that means using Vodafone's SMTP server. Your email program will almost certainly be configured to use the SMTP server of your home broadband provider, which won't work with the Vodafone connection.

Like this post
scoobydoo12

Likes # 0

I understand that but this has only started happening recently. Is there a way round it? Thanks for your response

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The only way round it is to use an SMTP server that will let you send via Vodafone's connection. If you are unable to use Vodafone's own SMTP server then, if you have a Gmail (Googlemail) account, you should be able to send via their SMTP server, but you will need to use SMTP Authentication, i.e. you have to log in similarly to the way you log in to retrieve mail from a POP3 account with a Username/Password.

Like this post
scoobydoo12

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help. Will see what I can try

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

I had the same problem. When away I use a yahoo e-mail address to send and receive via the mobile broadband dongle.

Like this post
scoobydoo12

Likes # 0

Ok thanks will give that a try.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I use my Daughters T-Mobil Web and Walk Dongle, and this works in conjunction with Orange Network so it gets better signal and not bad if you are in a good spot to use it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS if you are using Vodafone mobile broadband while on holiday, How do you connect to Broadband????? As far as I know there is no such thing as Mobile Broadband. Mobile Dongle is not Broadband, it uses the Mobile Network the Cell phones use

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"As far as I know there is no such thing as Mobile Broadband"

Yes there is. Mobile Broadband dongles use HSDPA technology (High Speed Download Packet Access) over the cell phone networks. This technology supports download speeds of 1.8, 3.6, 7.2 and 14.4 Megabits per second, although performance can be erratic depending on general network traffic.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...