We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

riser card 1x to a 16x

barriosgt67

Likes # 0

hi i have an optiplex gx520 and i'm looking for a graphic card.need to know if a graphic card exsist for this type of computer and if it does exsist what kind of graphic card do i need to play games oh yeah ita btx case and it has a pcie x1 slot at the bottom but not sure or convinced that it will work. can you please tell me what should i do. getting another computer is kind of hard for me right now that i'm having finacial promblems so please let me know tanx... Like this post Strawballs

Likes # 0 close

Follow someone whose posts you like and you'll be notified every time they post a message in the PC Advisor forums. You can unsubscribe at any time. You can choose not to be followed by other users by updating your My Profile page. follow or view Strawballs's profile

Posted Apr 21 '11 at 10:09

Try here link text Like this post barriosgt67

Likes # 0 close view barriosgt67's profile

Posted Apr 22 '11 at 4:20

tried it but i don't have a credit card and my computer is pci 1 slot now what do i do? do you know where i can get one like in a walgreens or staples center or some place like micro center but what kind or is there a trick cause i seen a video on a pcie video card work on a pciex1 slot is that possible? with a riser card pcie x1 to x16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3ZC5LjaWbo&feature=related

can this work for my computer a way of manipulating the system or like looking for a riser card and then a very low profile graphic card x16 can this be done to an optiplex gx520 please give me some feed back onthis thanxs Like this post lotvic

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

According to this spec Click Here

this machine has one PCIe x 16 full height expansion slot available. If this is correct then you don't need a converter (if such a thing exists).

Like this post
smotleycrew

Likes # 0

It is possible to fit in a full size PCIE x16 card into the Mini Tower Optiplex GX520 PCIE x1 connector. The link , given above states wrong specs. You can always view the original documentation pages for DELL PC/Laptops etc. if you know the name of the model and search for "edocs" string in google to get to the right page like this one: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx520/en/ug/mtabout0.htm#wp1073911 there you will see a picture of the motherboard http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx520/en/ug/mtabout9.jpg It is visible that there is not PCIE x16 slot, but there is PCIE x1. How to prepare PCIE x1 slot for PCIE x16 card 1.Get a soldering iron 2.Heat it up 3.Carefully melt the upper side (north side on the image) of the PCIE x1 slot

Fit a usually in PCIE x16 slot. Of course the speed at which the card will run is x1. That still will be enough to run games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 with Pentium IV 2.80 GHz Forget About FullHD 1080p though the 720p will be possible.

That is how I run the system with NVidia 6600 silent. At least it is something more than the integrated intel graphics chip.

Like this post
smotleycrew

Likes # 0

By writing this:

How to prepare PCIE x1 slot for PCIE x16 card 1.Get a soldering iron 2.Heat it up 3.Carefully melt the upper side (north side on the image) of the PCIE x1 slot

I meant:

Open up the PCIE x1 slot to the upper side so that a larger card can be fitted - melt the blocking short wall without damaging any of the pins.

Like this post
fhutch810

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes