We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

disk error or non system disk

Aristocatman

Likes # 0

I have had this problem a couple of times last time after running recovery console(WindowsXP Pro)& chkdsk /p it has worked but this time nothing from the recovery console has made a difference chkdsk no errors tried fixboot & fixmbr no effect. running out of ideas. PC is an HP xw6400 workstation twin Zeon processors HDD is a Samsung 1Tb could this be an MB problem?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Usually it means that the pc is trying to boot from a non-bootable source or your harddrive is on the blink and is not always recognised.

Check to make sure you don't have a floppy (if you have a floppy drive) or a CD/DVD in that the pc is trying to boot from.

If that is not the problem then it's probably the harddrive on the blink, so back up your Data quick and make sure you have a copy of your OS in case you have to replace the harddrive with a new one and will need to reinstall. (Ideally you will already have a backup image made and saved on an external harddrive with a program like Acronis True Image so that you can reinstall to a new internal harddrive)

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Take the side off and make sure all the cables are connected properly.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

All of the above

Also try changing CMOS battery as BIOS may be losing the HDD settings.

Like this post
Aristocatman

Likes # 0

Thanks for replies,I did all as suggested except I need to get an external drive for backup. I was trying to remember having a similar problem a while ago on a different PC& how I fixed it that was caused by having a USB connected unit that was drawing power. I have the same here a USB powered led desk light I turned the light off - it lit up as soon as I switched the PC on - & the PC booted up normally. For whatever reason the USB connected item affects the motherboard, power drain? or what & stops it booting.Fingers crossed problem solved, but I will get an external drive just in case!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In the BIOS, check the boot order and alter to the harddrive. (May or may not be the source of the problem)

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its telling you that the errors are not on the Operating System Partition, it on a External or other Partition the Restore is trying to monitor. You need to turn off all Restore on other than the System Partition. Then others do a Disc check

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite