We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 bootloader died

shutters

Likes # 0

Win7HP 32-bit. Can't boot.

Startup repair on Win7 DVD sees OS installation on C: but can't repair automatically. Running bootrec from cmd prompt, it doesn't see any OS installations so can't rewrite MBR or BCD to allow access.

What other routes do I have of getting my system back, please?

Sorry for terseness - just trying to keep to salients.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try tapping F8 on booting to see if you can get to the Advanced start up page and select repair your computer.

Like this post
shutters

Likes # 0

F8 gives me a boot menu of device priorities, no repair option.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try tapping F5 although if you continue to tap F8 in the temporary boot order page you should arrive at the advanced options page.

Like this post
shutters

Likes # 0

Yes, F5 offers me an extended menu.

Only tool on first screen is memory diagnostic, which unsurprisingly finds no problems there. Exiting that test takes me into the DVD's bootup, which offers the Repair Your Computer option that I've tried repeatedly and doesn't work for me.

Evrry boot option from the extended menu offered at F5 | F8 takes me into either the DVD's automatic startup repair routine, which I've tried repeatedly and doesn't work for me, or into the DVD's bootup as above.

In short, nothing new. Sorry, but there it is.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Does it give a safe Mode Option if it does click it, and give it time to load. Then do a System Restore

Like this post
shutters

Likes # 0

Yes, it gives a Safe Mode. But it can't see any restore points.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Hiren's Boot CD has MBR utils and a copy of Partition Wizard Home Edition (which has a rebuild MBR option).

It maybe a 'standard MBR' rebuild, I don't know.

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

Also Ultimate Boot CD has MBR utils.

I know I went round in circles for ages when I was trying to delete an MBR on a 2nd drive. I think Partition Wizard was what worked in the end.

Like this post
Zeppelyn

Likes # 0

Try going to command prompt from DVD and typing

bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

Change C: To letter of your Windows partition if different, this command will rewrite the the boot sector.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Or from a comand prompt try 'fixmbr' or 'fixboot'

Like this post
shutters

Likes # 0

Robin: TVM for that link. Messing around with the various tools confirms my initial reckoning, that I'm savvy enough to know what the problem is but not solve it! I still can't get further than an initial Win7 screen (which I mis-identified above as being from the DVD) that puts me straight into Startup Repair but can't repair the startup.

Zeppelyn: doesn't get me any further on, I'm afraid.

Miké: had tried both of those before I first posted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback