We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bad download speeds with wireless, even with a good connection

Pringles6990

Likes # 0

I have recently noticed that my download speed has reduced, a lot. It used to be fine, like using an Ethernet cable with 1 - 1.5 megabyte/s download speeds but lately its been really low, like 40 kilobytes/s. My wireless status says: 'excellent 54 megabits/s' and I'm not sure what's wrong, I'm using a TP-Link TL-WN350GD 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try running speedtest to check what download speeds you're getting. More info here dslreports

Like this post
Pringles6990

Likes # 0

I have, many times, my download speed is usually about 0.7 Mbps when I check, the same as my upload >.<

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Turn your router of for about 1 minute. then turn it back on to make a new connection

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Then try a ping test link text

Like this post

Likes # 0

You are confusing wireless speeds with download speeds via your router from the internet

Go here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php and read through the site

Like this post
Pringles6990

Likes # 0

No, my router is fine, if I use a cable or my mums laptop i get good download speeds, so its my wireless card, but if it has a good connection to the router, surely the download speeds would be better but i dont get good download speeds

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

on the problem computer, if you try in safe mode with networking does the speed improve?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As 961 has stated the download speed to the router will not be the same as your wireless connection to it. You will invariably get a better speed connecting by cable to a router than wirelessly. There are a number of factors that can affect wireless speed eg distance from router, layout of house, channel being used, how many are sharing it and whether b,g or n standard. I see that your card is a b,g only. What is your router? Is it n standard and your mum's laptop also n?

Like this post
Pringles6990

Likes # 0

But surely with a connection faster than what my ISP provides I should get the max download speed that I can in my area?

My router is a DSL-2640R, and it came with our Internet package, im not sure what my mums laptop has but it was what was standard with a dell inspiron 5000 series or something, im not to sure, also what's bg only?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try downloading and running TCP Optimizer, Make a backup of your settings first using the program, before you optimize using the default settings.

Link icon is not showing so copy paste this address into your Web Browser then press enter key

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite