We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Samsung Harddrive Master/Slave

J. I.

Likes # 0

Have just purchased a Samsung 500gb spinpoint f3 7200 Sata drive. The 8 pins are uncovered(no jumpers) The leaflet that came with it is confusing regarding pin settings. My question do the drives come set as Masters or do they have to be set to Master before fitting to computer. A copy of my leaflet can be found under settings on www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/user quide/supp Also another website www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk states in relation to my disk. Jumper block 8 pin (no Master/Slave settings) Does this mean my disk can be used as a Master or Slave straight from the box without jumpers fitted. I obviously dont want to damage my mother board or drive. I need to fit the drive as a Master. Can anyone advise if the drive as received is in Master position. Your help gratefully appreciated. joni

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

SATA does not have master or slave

The BIOS will look for the operating systems on the drives in order of the port number they are attached to i.e. Drive zero is connected to port one etc.

it will boot from the first op system on the first drive if a Boot menu is not set up.

Boot menus must be on the first drive.

Like this post
J. I.

Likes # 0

Was not aware Sata could be Master or Slave. I will be installing this disk as the first disk so should be recognised as the master by bios. If i at a later date fit a second Sata disk to the same computer then bios will recognise it as the Slave or second disk. Is this correct? All this a little strange to me so realy appreciate your help. The manufacturers websites are of little help jn these matters. Once again i really appreciate the help you have given me on this subject. joni

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes to your Answers

Like this post
J. I.

Likes # 0

Many thanks to FRUITBAT and woodchip for putting me on the right track. I was not aware Sata operated differently to Ide drives. joni

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen