We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to load vista recovery to new HDD

Hoodie

Likes # 0

Computer - Toshiba L350-170 Cpu 2GHz 2Gb RAM. Initially failed to boot. Checked in Bios - No HDD listed. Relaced with Toshiba (new & sealed)MK2555GSX sata2.Now listed in Bios. Loaded Vista recovery disk---"windows loading files" Got to RECOVERY UTILITY--select language---Next Now Dos box RECGUI -- ERROR:CreateFile\.\PHYSICALDRIVE0 the system cannot find the file specified When OK'd-- Hard disk drive is not accessible or bad raid configuration Help!!!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The windows recovery disk, recovers the operating sysytem from the Original harddrive, as it is not on the new drive , it cannot recover it.

You say the old (original drive) drive was not found in bios, did you check the physical connections (data and Power cables) as sometimes -especially with SATA drives they can come loose. Try to reconnect the drive again or use a connector kit http://www.usbnow.co.uk/p52/USB2.0IDE&SATACable%28withPowerSupply%29/product_info.html?gclid=CJut35Xrr6gCFUFC4QodAVkWHA like this to connect externally. Terry

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

your linkUSB to Sata

Like this post
Hoodie

Likes # 0

terry thanks for your interest but I believe you are wrong. The recovery disks I have are OEM disks and I have used them successfully when HDD went approx 2years ago. graham I am working with a new (blank) HDD, surely I woul need the windows system to be operating to be able to use a USB device. anyway thanks lads Hoodie

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Hoddle;

The recovery disks are only usable once, which is why they cannot be used a second time, as for USB, that is loaded from the bios and is independent of windows.

When you boot your computer up, have a look at the text on the screen and you will see the USB drives being loaded before windows.

It is unusual for a Harddrive to only last 2 years, unless you are a very heavy user and it is running 24 hours a day. If you can borrow a copy of Vista from a friend, you could use the licence number on your machine to activate it.

I strongly suggest you make regular FULL backups to a seperate drive, using a program like Acronis free. http://download.cnet.com/Acronis-True-Image-Home/3000-2242_4-10168093.html

Terry

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its just as Terry Brown says in is first post, That why all new PC buyers should invest in Acronis and create a Image to a External Drive so that if things like this happen you can fit a new drive then load the Image.

As it is now you haven't a cats whisker of getting it going without shelling out for a Operating System disc or loading a free Linux Distro

Like this post
Hoodie

Likes # 0

Thank to Terry & Woodchip, Took on board your advice and attempted to load my old XP professional pro disk. It loaded files showed "Set up could not determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installedon your system.
set up will now load support for the following mass storage devices.
Then indicates NONE Is the new HDD faulty ? or What else ?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

XP cannnot see SATA drives unless you load the relevant SATA drivers at the F6 prompt early in the setup routine.

However XP expects them to be loaded from a Floppy so the usual method to load XP on a SATA drive is to slipstream the drivers and XP onto a new CD using "nlite"

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat - for future reference, are those drivers included on SP 3, please?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

"The recovery disks are only usable once"

I have reloaded from recovery disks on a number of occasions, where have you got the idea that it can only be done once?

Like this post
Hoodie

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat Again loaded XP set up using F6 same result, This gets me to the same situation as attempting to reload VISTA with recovery disks. The setup files load on to the computer but then cannot detect new HDD (C) to load said files to. Is HDD faulty? -- what else to try? Bremner -- Thanks for agreeing recov disks can be used to reinstall Vista

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

What's new in VR: the companies creating exciting new mixes of augmented and virtual reality

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...