We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which One!!

archiepie

Likes # 0

I Need Help! Bowing to everybody elses knowledge of Laptops/Tabs, I would like some opinions on what I need to purchase. I need a lightweight laptop/tab to put in my hand luggage while I travel from my home in Italy to work in the UK.

1.Needs 3G or continous connectivity in Europe 2.Only used for research/writing/e-mail 3.Needs really to have at least about 10 inch screen for easy size keyboard as writing is what I do and will be tapping away for a couple of hours.

What I'm hoping for is a tip about 3 or 4 products which suit my needs, or am I looking at just getting a laptop and a couple of dongles, one for each country.

Any ideas?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

A lot will depend on price of course, but this one from Toshiba click here

is lightweight, has a 13 inch screen and a DVD recorder included which none of the 10" ones do as far as I know. My daughter has a similar model purchased in the USA and finds it ideal for travelling because of its light weight. There may be lower cost and lower spec machines in this model range.

A cursory glance at 3g broadband coverage in Europe seems that yes you will need at least two dongle to maintain coverage.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

If all you nee is email and a 3g connection, why not get an ipad 2 with a key board accessory and "Pages" app for your typing needs.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You need a Netbook that is something like mine, Mine is a Samsung nc10 about 8hours run time on battery You then need dongles that allow you to connect on the move. If you are near to Hotspots you can use the built in WiFi in the Netbook

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

nc10 link text

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015