We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7 yr old XP-Should i reinstall or simply fix?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, my friend has lent me his 7yr old (apparently) laptop, a Toshiba A100, which runs XP and he said it no longer connects wirelessly to his broadband. He mentioned that he wouldn't mind if i reinstalled XP but upon using it i find it remarkably quick and it seems that the only main problem is a virus called 'XP Anti-Spyware' which i believe Malwarebytes finds and erases.

My question is should i bother reinstalling XP and then find all the drivers necessary, or simply tweak it a bit, run msconfig, install Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, AVG, Defraggler and Ccleaner and get it working again (i assume that the virus is stopping it connecting wirelessly). Ps- i have tried installing Malwatrebytes but it wont open or run...would that be the 'XP Anti-Spyware' stopping it?

All answers appreciated, thank you!!

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Malwarebytes have recognised the problem with this malware and their software and given the advice in the last post in this thread link text (posted by True Member). It should allow you to install, update and run Malwarebytes to remove the problem.

Another option is provided here link text

It seems unnecessary to do a complete reinstall if you only have the one problem which can be dealt with.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just tweak it.

My 6 and a half year old Medion running XP is flying along and never been reinstalled.

Good protection and cleaning habits will keep XP running well for years.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or try this.

To remove false security programs

1. Turn off computer ,then turn on and start tapping F8
  2. When the Advanced startup options appear Select Safe mode With Networking
  3. Open internet explorer goto google.com ,download Hitman pro "32-bit or 64-bit depending on your Os"
  4. Run Hitman pro ,let this scan the computer
  5. Activate Free Licence
  6. Reboot Pc

Infection Removed..!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello and thank you for your excellent help. Buteman, i've opened it up in safe mode with networking but there doesn't seem to be any wireless option?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Update: I downloaded Hitman Pro to my laptop, plugged a USB drive into my laptop to transfer it and immediately AVG found two infections on the USB drive.....that had previously been plugged into the infected laptop. Can it be transferred this way?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Update again- I ran Hitman Pro, even though it couldn't connect to the net to update, and nothing was found. How odd?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, just another upadte- I managed to erase/destroy the virus using this method (using Notepad) Thought it may be of use...! Thank you all....i'll twaek it now! Ps- i cant believe how well it runs considering it is 7 years old...it flies!!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, i have got rid of the virus but strangely the wireless can not find ANY of the wireless signals in the close area (neighbours etc)....is that odd?

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

WinSock XP Fix any use?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Now you have got rid of the virus try doing a repair install that will leave your data intact. XP repair install

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...