We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Weird lines on monitor

fazza8

Likes # 0

I have a Quad CPUQ6600@ 2.40GHz running W7 with Intel(R) 946GZ Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] GNR TS902W [Monitor] (18.6"vis, s/n 001359, May 2007)

My LG monitor started to display wavy lines but not all the time. Sometimes I got the noise made by plugging in new hardware quickly followed by the noise made by unplugging it. This could continue for some time if left unattended. I tried another monitor (GNR TS902W) with a new lead but the strange lines persist although in a slightly different form. About 3 times I have left my computer on overnight and in the morning the screen stays black and I have had to reset the computer. It has worked OK for a bit when I reset it.

Any ideas very welcome?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

This problem may have several causes. I would suggest you start by checking the monitor lead as bad contacts can cause this.

Other causes may be cured by re-seating your graphics card(s), re-seating RAM or corrupt drivers.

If you attempt to access the PC to re-seat cards/modules ensure the mains power is off.

Like this post
fazza8

Likes # 0

Thanks. I am not really a techy. Sounds a bit daunting!

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Sounds to me that it might be a video card problem. I had a similar problem the PC would work for a while and then shut down. I suspected it was the card. When I took the card out, although the fan was running, when I rotated it by hand it was a bit stiff. I assumed the video processor was therefore over heating. A direct replacement was out of stock at the time, but I was able to buy one with a better spec. at the same price. My new card had a large heat sink in place of the fan. Replacement was relatively easy, the main point to note is to make sure you discharge any possible static electricity by earthing yourself before opening up your PC or taking the new card out of it's packing by earthing yourself. Boot up and install the video driver.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice that you have already tried changing leads. Have you checked the sockets that the lead fit into.

The other alternatives is to check to see if you have the latest drivers, or look if a component as come loose.

Another method might be to download a diagnostic program from somewhere like majorgeeks.com and see if that picks anything up!.

If the tasks are to daunting, then see if you have a local computer engineer or computer savvy person in your area, who might help in resolving the problem.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

In the past I have used my local Computer shop and gat service at reasonable rates. I would avoid the big computer stores like the plague. Tey will fleece you.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I would say you need a new Graphics card

Like this post
fazza8

Likes # 0

Thanks everybody. Looks like a new video card could be my first step. I did buy a bluray reader and my card won't play them so if that is not the answer it would be a sensible upgrade anyway.

Thanks for all your help?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Could it be you just need updated drivers for your graphics. Whether chipset or card. Device manager may show no updates required but that is not always the case.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow