We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CHKDSK problem

hssutton
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friends computer running W7 CHKDSK does not work, on start up she gets the message that her drive may be faulty and allow CHKDSK to run, unfortunately nothing happens. Allowing the computer to bypass checkdisk pc works ok.

A sheduled CHKDSK or system restore will not work.

Any suggestions please.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Normally I would suggest sfc/ scannow or a repair but this sounds a bit different.

I did find these: link text link text and the 'Error repair Tool' in the second sounds a simple fix if it works.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

what happens when you do chkdsk /r and when asked to run this at the next restart, type y, and press Enter.

Or

try Press F8 during fist staring and run chckdsk /r from the command prompt option.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Do the usual.my computer.right click C Drive and them click on properties. Then tools and check now.Tick both boxes and reboot to start chkdsk. If you have tried that and it still does not work check out your graphics card driver to see if it needs updating. If you have checked device manager and no yellow exclamation marks I would still look for graphics driver update whether card or chipset. Also check the resolution has not changed.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback.

John Andrew, have downloaded the repair tool, but it will be Sunday before I visit my friends again.

Fruit Bat, Can't quite remember the sequence on selecting yes, but the chkdsk does not work and a message comes up saying to run system repair. System repair will not work with the message run check disk. Will try F8 on Monday.

The PC works ok on selecting no to check disk

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It sounds as if she may have a faulty Harddrive, on her system, If the machine is still under guarrantee, it may be worth going back to the retailer and having a word with them, however try this link first. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/a7d5c759-c8c6-49cc-80af-589e28f13a65/

Terry

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

What drive is it trying to check.C.D.E or other. I know it is normally C But on my computer it has 5 or 6 I believe.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

buteman Only one hard drive, so yes it's the C drive.

It will be Monday before I can get over to my friends house and try out the various suggestions. Will report back probably Tuesday morning.

Many thanks for all the suggestions.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/* Press F8 during fist staring and run chckdsk /r from the command prompt option.

Many thanks the above method worked.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......