We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP,Windows 7,WordPerfect8 Mess.

Fred Spoons EPNS

Likes # 0

Hello.I need help with a mess of a problem for an older friend.She had WordPerfect8 on her old computer with Windows XP as the OS.Prior to the purchase of a 'new' computer,the shop removed the old computer hard drive. With a 'new' computer at home,(supposedly with a 'new' hard-drive) they had put in a new Windows 7 OS and seemingly copied the entire contents of her old hard drive back onto the new computer rather than just photos and documents that she wanted.

All her documents were originally in Win XP but transferred to Win 7 yet somehow WordPerfect8 wasn't copied over from the old hard drive.She can find the document files but all she gets are wavy lines when they're opened.The shop wanted to charge her £60 to put WordPerfect8 back but she said no.I read that WordPerfect 8 isn't available and,if it were,it would be incompatible with Win 7.The shop are totally useless and washed their hands of her now but they still have the old hard drive.

My question is this.Is there anything that can be downloaded to get Win 7 to open up an old Win XP documents from the now seemingly defunct ancient WordPerfect 8 so that she can read said items within Win 7? Its important for her to do this but I don't have a clue how to help her.Any help or advice that I can pass on to her would be useful please.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Open office Click here to download shoud open .wpd word perfect files

Like this post
Fred Spoons EPNS

Likes # 0

Hello Fruitbat.Thank you very much for this.Will copy the link and send it to my friend. Lets hope it'll do the trick.All the best.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It depends what she as, I use WordPerfect 8 if they are important, I suppose I Could open and save them to another file format for her. Depending on how many and size, If Push came to shove they could be put on a CD or DVD and posted

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Problem is that they are saved as WPD format Native to WordPerfect

Like this post
Fred Spoons EPNS

Likes # 0

Hello woodchip.The good lady concerned doesn't understand file formats sadly and wouldn't know how to change it. I sent Fruitbats 'open office' link with a brief explanation to download to her and hopefully it'll do the trick. I've not heard how she did, but its very confusing to her as is Windows 7. I'm trying to keep it simple as I can for this fine lady. I'll do my best to try and help save her computer stuff. Thank you very much.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

She would not need to change it, if I got the Files I would open them in WordPerfect the re-save them in Word or another format that she could open them

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED