We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sd cards or usb sticks

Dasmad

Likes # 0

with sd cards so handy for transfer of photos between camera and pc, and enormous capacities available, is there any point in using usb sticks ? is one system cheaper, faster, or handier in some way I haven't imagined, or is there some downside I'm not aware of ?

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

woodchip thanks for info,I see that some cards have 15mb/s and others have 20mb/s now would the 20mb/s be much better one to purchase. thanks.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You have to make sure your equipment Hardware will take big Cards, Do you mean Gig or Mb

I think you are talking about 30Mb write speed.

But as to size in Gig check your info on the Hardware you are using on max size you can use in them. This is a must for them to work, you cannot go over the size they say

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Also SDHC will not work in Equipment not designed for it. Normal SD cards should work in all. These are normal SD cards link text

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Woodchip.just looked at my canon camera and it has a '4GB SDHC then it has a number 2 enclosed in a circle if you understand what i mean.So what does that 2 stand for is it for speed or what?,if its for the speed of the card maybe a SD card 4GB with a higher number than 2 would be faster??.thanks.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Yes 2 is the Speed Class. But if your camera does not take SDHC you need to buy a SD card as fast a card as you can

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Thanks 'woodchip'very helpful info. Many thanks once again,c.

Like this post
Dasmad

Likes # 0

well thanks for all the comments, bothe practical and philosophical ! I think on balance I'll continue to use sd cards and get a card reader for the extra flexibility.......and probably move to higher speed cards as they get cheaper cheers

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I've been away for a few days and was able to try out my new CanonS95 compact which was rated highly for movies as well as stills but does say in the mountain of instructions that if you don't use a fast card with good capacity the camera will have to pause during movie making to allow the card to catch up loading the scene.

Speed does not seem to be so important with stills unless you are taking in rapid succession, but my wife did have this yesterday trying to take multiple shots of granddaughter on horseback, she was pressing too fast for pictures to load, but she has the standard card, no card was supplied with my camera and I don't know what was in my previous Canon cos some Ba*rd stole it from my bag when my back was turned!

I was shooting a mixture of still and movie and had no trouble, but my card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro 45MB/s SDHC1

As to Ian picking up my description of the car colour, I did mean pee green, probably rhino or similar, but you will know the colour when you see it, whoever chose it must be vision defective, it must knock hundreds off its selling value.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?