We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sd cards or usb sticks

Dasmad

Likes # 0

with sd cards so handy for transfer of photos between camera and pc, and enormous capacities available, is there any point in using usb sticks ? is one system cheaper, faster, or handier in some way I haven't imagined, or is there some downside I'm not aware of ?

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I was surprised to read in an eminent journal that the most durable medium was vinyl 33rpm records (over 100yrs) as against pressed CD/DVD (30yrs) then CD/DVD burnt (5-15yrs)according to disc quality.

Prewar nitrate film is almost unrecoverable now but later cellulose is still ok, but tape suffers print through and needs to be stored carefully.

As for hard drives, memory cards and memory sticks, nobody knows as they are still too young to assess.

So all those people like me, who are digitising their photos better keep the originals cool and dark and dry because they may last longer than the digital copies. Ponder on that if you will and rdave13 idea of more digital methods of storage may be just as perishable than the current lot.

Carving in stone isn't permanent either, it all comes down to one of the laws of Thermodynamics I think, entropy, delta S, everything moves to a state of disorder, loses energy and goes back to basics, iron/steel rusts to ferric oxide and needs energy in a smelter to turn it back to iron metal again but starts rusting immediately. You can tidy up a room put everything in order then let a horde of kids in there and it's a mixture again.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

But just think if Cars did not rust and like other things made. So you think we have a Disposal Problem, think again. it could be worse if left in Man's hands

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woodchip

It's always in man's hands. Anything made by man is perishable so will need to be imported to a new format. We're seeing this today more so as technology leaps foreward. If it's good for mankind then we'll have to wait and see.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Mostly I think its so that such as Microsoft can make a fast buck. it not that we need it, but it feed there bank balance.That's what all the Adverts are about Buy this You know you need it. even when you don't

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS what I want they cannot provide at any Price, is what I want, a better quality of life

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Muergo: 'pee' green? You need to see a doctor. Or perhaps 'pea' green...? :-)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Woodchip: money may not be able to buy you happiness - but it sure as hell makes unhappiness a whole lot more bearable...

Like this post
catpwss

Likes # 0

Sorry to hyjack your this thread.But very interested in what woodchip said about SD cards the higher the speed the more expensive they are.Do you mean an 8gb card with a 15mb/s be okay ?.I'm very interested in all this as I have just bought myself a new canon camera.Stills mostly. Thanks.c.sorry to butt in.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You can check out some good prices hear on cards they go like 1 to 10 but think lowest may be about 5

I buy most of my stuff hear,

The Link icon is not showing as page is not fully loading. you need to copy the address under this then Paste it into your Browser Address Bar and click enter key

link text

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

When I stopped the page loading icon appeared On this page I posted they seem to be Class 4, 6, and 10

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...