We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop Hard Drive issue

damiane
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello, I am new to the forum and would like to pick the brains of all you knowledgable folk out there. I've tried googling my problem but can't find anything.

We had to update i-Tunes on our family laptop but it wouldn't complete the install because it said the hard drive was out of space.

When i click on My Computer there are 2 drives showing.

C (System) Drive - shows almost full - over 31GB used out of 32GB.

D (Data) Drive - empty - nothing on it at all apart from a tiny file and has 32GB free.

How can i get my laptop to recognise that there is 32gb free on the D drive and carry on storing things instead of telling me i have no space left?

We can't even upload any more pictures from the camera etc. They seem to default to the C drive somehow and totally ignore the D.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Like this post
damiane

Likes # 0

Guys, i tried what Thalmus suggested and it's not solved my problem.

When i right click on the C drive, the option to Extend Volume is greyed out, along with Mark Partition as Active, Format, and Delete Volume.

It just won't let me chose to Extend Volume, even though there is 33GB going to waste. Any clues?

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

It's quite probable that you have a hidden recovery partition that is located on disk between C: & D:. This prevents merging of the partitions as they are not next to each other on the disk. The suggestion to 'Move' your Music, Documents, etc. folders is quite valid as your programs should pick up the new location from the shortcut that they are directed to. I have never experienced any problem with doing it that way. Do not 'Drag 'n Drop' the folders to the D: drive as that could easily caUSE PROBLEMS.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As I said do what I posted above

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS any Programs that you have loaded and have the CD for, remove the Program from Add Remove in Control Panel the do a Custom Install and load the program to D:\ all this will create more space on C:\ and you need space for windows to work

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers