We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Speed

Hrosir

Likes # 0

I have been with Sky for just over a year and when I signed up I was getting around 7mb download speeds.However of late, web browsing has become significantly slower and when I checked my router it was showing that I was in fact just clearing 2mb!. After a number of phone calls to Sky expressing my concerns I have been advised to change the ADSL Microfilter, replace the cable to the BT wall socket and check my Network card drivers are up to date. All these I have done with no improvement whatsoever.My last call to them resulted in Sky carrying out a full line check, which came back as no faults on either line or router and they concluded that the fault lies with my pc. This would be credible perhaps were it not for the fact that my wife's pc also has the same very slow browsing speed. Surely if the fault were the pc, this would not likely affect her as well? I have checked the drivers for the Network card and could not see any updated drivers, please help, thanks

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 1

i also am with sky and your not the only one to notice a speed decrease recently. I am going to try another router and see if that helps. i'll try it and post back see if it does make a difference.

Like this post
ashleycardwell94

Likes # 0

HROSIR--- Request a new router from sky. you cant just go and and buy one. if you do, your internet will stop as it is against the t and c to use your own equipment.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

Hi, Me again! A point of interest concerning quoted line speeds. If, as we know, distance from the exchange has a direct effect on the overall throughput,it seems reasonable to assume that the closer this distance is, the faster the connection should be. But in reality this seems to be difficult to equate; we live 550 meters from our exchange and currently get 7.7mb download and around 780mb upload! So, based on this result the maximum speed quoted, ie, up to 20mb, we would have to be sitting in the exchange with a 3 foot wall to panel connection it would seem. Is there anyone therefore getting close to this maximum figure?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Your not taking into account the quality of the line. (i.e copper from the exchange to your router.)

I live 6 miles form my exchange, however my local cab is only 900 Yards from my house. My local cab is fed via a Optical Fibre so my speeds are above the UK averagege.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

Thanks for the comment Beta. As it happens I have mentioned this several times to BT and they assure me that my line is ok, even though my outside line has been in the house since the late 60s and may have degraded they say that this will not affect performance

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

Since returning to Bt for my Broadband, my speeds have been very close to the 8mb I was promised. There have been peaks and troughs as was to be expected but so far I am more than happy with services supplied and have seen little to complain about. Unlike my previous supplier.

Like this post
LimestoneRock

Likes # 0

What a wonderful & informative original posting. I think that many of us can gain a lot of very useful info, both techno & ISPs etc. Happy all resolved in the end though.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

It seems to be fairly standard procedure for ISPs to blame BT, for BT to blame the ISPs and for both to blame your PC!

If both you and your wife connect by ethernet cable to the router, even if one PC is switched off, try disconnecting its cable to see if the speed is still slow on the other computer. Then repeat the procedure with the other computer physically disconnected from the network. If the results still appear to be slow, see what results the speedtest.net site shows.

If you're connecting both computers wirelessly, see what sort of download speeds you get with a wired ethernet connection.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

We have done this as part of eliminating possible causes with no effect. I have even unplugged the phone cable from the sky box, the network cable from the HD box.Reset the router, rebooted; in fact even turning all electrical appliances off in sheer desparation!! No effect. I have not as yet tried a new network card or checked the network card protocols in case of a possible conflict. The annoying thing is that we pay for up to 20mb for the full package and in reality we are on the lower scale package in terms of speed.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If after rebooting the router its no better, you have a Line or Exchange Problem.

Filters are just to put you off the trail, as they work or do not work

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen