We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Speed

Hrosir

Likes # 0

I have been with Sky for just over a year and when I signed up I was getting around 7mb download speeds.However of late, web browsing has become significantly slower and when I checked my router it was showing that I was in fact just clearing 2mb!. After a number of phone calls to Sky expressing my concerns I have been advised to change the ADSL Microfilter, replace the cable to the BT wall socket and check my Network card drivers are up to date. All these I have done with no improvement whatsoever.My last call to them resulted in Sky carrying out a full line check, which came back as no faults on either line or router and they concluded that the fault lies with my pc. This would be credible perhaps were it not for the fact that my wife's pc also has the same very slow browsing speed. Surely if the fault were the pc, this would not likely affect her as well? I have checked the drivers for the Network card and could not see any updated drivers, please help, thanks

Like this post

Likes # 0

Go to this web site to establish what speeds you are getting and what the problem may be

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php

Do you have a master socket that isolates your home telephones etc from your broadband so that any faults within the home can't affect your broadband speeds? If not, get one so that you don't need microfilters which are prone to fail. Only once you've done this can you be sure the fault is not within your home and get on to your ISP confident that the problem is elsewhere

Download router stats or router stats lite to see if your router is causing a problem

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

Thanks again for the info. I presume by master socket this means replacing the face plate with a new one that has the filter built in?. I was in Maplin and was told that this would have a beneficial effect.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

This was the reason I switched from BT just over a year ago.I know you are on sky but the line into your home is proberley the cause. Phone lines were never designed for broadband. the old wires ( the older the worse they become ) being exposed to all weather conditions. So from the jumction box to where it enters the home is normally a problem. I understand with infinity there is up to 40mg but again is to the box not the house. Then there is the Fare Use Policy I was on unlimited and constantley ran into this problem. BT,Sky,Talk Talk all use BT phone lines. and all use the same methods.The more customes the lower the actual speed. I was luckly Virgin Media Cable was available.I switched from BT which provided all my service to Virgin and saved £50 a quarter on BT plus I also got my TV service. And I always get the full speed all the time

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

No you dont have to but a new face plate you should have a BT master socket see below link

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

I have just reloaded windows vista in an attempt to see if this has any bearing on my download speeds; the answer is absoulutely nothing! It still will not exeed 3072mb download and 256kbs. Sometimes the download speed drops to 2072 but these two figures dont vary.It would seems to me that my pc is not the limiting factor for speed as Sky would have me believe.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could try running TCP Optimiser on your PC it made a big difference on the Laptop I am on. After Installing go to the menu and create a backup of your settings in the program , then set it to Optimize leave it at default settings then press go, You will have to reboot after Optimizing

Also link icon is not loading so copy paste the link bellow into your browser address bar then hit enter key

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Like this post
OnAir77

Likes # 0

Try running a speed test and see if results comply to your old speed tests.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

thanks to everyone who posted to me. I have now decided to change supplier and cross my fingers! Sky have tweaked and checked all and sundry and I now get around 2.7mb download speed. Not quite the 4mb expected.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

As a final comment on the Sky Broadband issue; having been unable to resolve the slow download speeed with Sky, we decided to switch to BT as their speed quoted was more realistic, ie 10mb. Having decided on the total Broadband package we awaited the arrival of our router and the subsequent boost in speed. The result was a download speed of 14kbs!! with no upload at all. A quick phone call to BT to fix this we thought but no; the usual fixes tried and failed. We were told that 'it will take 10 days for the line to stabilize at maximum speed', so ok,we understood this but with our current speed it would be more like the next decade! One week later we still did not have a useable broadband connection and eventually we were given an engineers visit to rectify the mystery. After 20 minutes we were told that the reason for our snailband was that our Sky box had been hard wired into the bt junction box instead of a microfilter, thus negating the issue of band separation! Once the box was replaced with a master socket and the Sky line reinstalled, lo and behold our speed shot up to 9.3mbs, amazing isn't it that we probably could have stayed with Sky had this been found earlier.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen