We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Speed

Hrosir

Likes # 0

I have been with Sky for just over a year and when I signed up I was getting around 7mb download speeds.However of late, web browsing has become significantly slower and when I checked my router it was showing that I was in fact just clearing 2mb!. After a number of phone calls to Sky expressing my concerns I have been advised to change the ADSL Microfilter, replace the cable to the BT wall socket and check my Network card drivers are up to date. All these I have done with no improvement whatsoever.My last call to them resulted in Sky carrying out a full line check, which came back as no faults on either line or router and they concluded that the fault lies with my pc. This would be credible perhaps were it not for the fact that my wife's pc also has the same very slow browsing speed. Surely if the fault were the pc, this would not likely affect her as well? I have checked the drivers for the Network card and could not see any updated drivers, please help, thanks

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

Hello to all and now a further update. Again after lengthy and non productive conversations with Sky and their associated IT depts. I was advised to do a Netstat check. I was told that there would normally be around 2 to 20 processes using bandwidth resulting in a slowing of services. I found that I have around 23 running!!. The question now i how do I know what to do with the info such as deleting these unwanted slugs from eating my bandwidth?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Do, you have Norton Internet Security, if you do go the Network Activity Map, and this will list all the dieves connect to your Router.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

I have considered switching my phone and broadband to BT who claim they can give me 17mb download speed which is considerably more than the 7mb offered by Sky! However when I tried to find out how doing such action would impact on my package price I was told that they couldn't tell me without further communications, more run around or an attempt to delay me switching ISP. When I mentioned that I was not getting the full download speed I was told that I will get compensation for this, mmm. Is there anything to be gained from having a new master socket installed to replace the existing point, having said that I cannot envisage the speed going much higher?

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

If you log into your Router Whats your Sync speed ? also post your line stats please Line Attenuation and SNR is what i need

As has been suggested try plugging the RJ11 cable directly from router into the master BT socket. Make sure all phone sockets have splitters and disconnect sky ect while testing

you could also cut the ring wire in the sockets i gained a extra 1-2 Mbps by doing that

also if you do a netstat -aon in the command prompt u will see the PID of the process/service and u can track it down via Task manager

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Your problem might just be that Sky have now signed up too many customers for your locality and more of you are now sharing what comes from the exchange hence the drop. I know that this is a regular problem for TalkTalk customers. I doubt they will tell you that this might be the reason for your drop.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time WAN PPPoA 29369 31826 0 0 0 1:32:53 LAN 36512 32454 0 0 0 1:33:44 WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 1:33:17 ADSL Link Downstream Upstream Connection Speed 3072 kbps 256 kbps Line Attenuation 37.0 db 22.0 db Noise Margin 9.8 db

Hope these prove useful, I have run a full Virus scan but cannot say I have found any difference. Netscan continues to find around 20 open connections which sky tell me are eating my bandwidth. without knowing what they are and how to remove them I seem to be stuck.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

With a Line Attenuation of 37.0 db you should be expecting a connection speed of 7-10 mbps do you know how far away from the exchange you are ?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/maxspeedcalc.php

I would also try this http://www.speedtester.bt.com - its BT own speedtest system and bypasses your isp you will be able to see your IPprofile which tells you the max download speed you can get from the internet (Your IPprofile might be locked to 3mb due to issues on the line you had)

Noise Margin is the interesting one 9.8db is quite high and could point to the low sync speed this should be around 5-8 db. As has already been suggested there is a few ways to improve the noise plug directly into the master BT socket and disconnect all other devices, use different splitters, dont use Extension cables, change RJ11 cable, power cycle router, or it could be down to a line issue, congestion

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

we are 550 meters from the exchange and the bt test report says an estimated speed on our line is 12mb!! which is not that much more than our 3mb I suppose, sarcasm! sorry. Anyway hope this will produce the usual excellent response as usual, thanks everyone for your input.

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

With your high noise margin there is some room for improvement. I would phone Sky and tell them you have upgraded your internal wiring (even if you haven't)and ask them to manually reconfigure your line. As previously mentioned with 37Db Line attenuation you should be getting nearer 8 or 9 Mbps.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

My Bt broadband was running at 6MB when I updgraded the option2 package with a new n tecchnology BT3 Home Hub with the hope of increasing line speed. The line speed dropped to 4MB on connection and then dropped the next day to below 1MB and stayed at that for 3 weeks. I complained to BT who did line check and confirmed there was a problem and told to wait 48hrs and recheck. It came up as 3.9MB and has graually worked its way up to 6.3MB So it was an exchange problem. I think the exchange has automatic protection equipment that cuts line speed to below 1MB and has to be manually reset at exchange end but they only do this after a complaint and a 'Ping Test' to ensure there are no faults on your PC and/or wiring/connections. They strongly advise never to switch of HomeHub or this can reduce line speed by the automatic line speed protection system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more