We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Broadband Speed

Hrosir

Likes # 0

I have been with Sky for just over a year and when I signed up I was getting around 7mb download speeds.However of late, web browsing has become significantly slower and when I checked my router it was showing that I was in fact just clearing 2mb!. After a number of phone calls to Sky expressing my concerns I have been advised to change the ADSL Microfilter, replace the cable to the BT wall socket and check my Network card drivers are up to date. All these I have done with no improvement whatsoever.My last call to them resulted in Sky carrying out a full line check, which came back as no faults on either line or router and they concluded that the fault lies with my pc. This would be credible perhaps were it not for the fact that my wife's pc also has the same very slow browsing speed. Surely if the fault were the pc, this would not likely affect her as well? I have checked the drivers for the Network card and could not see any updated drivers, please help, thanks

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

I had some trouble with my BT Broadband recently. My speed had dropped from about 8 to 9 Meg down to 1 to 2 Meg download. Upload speed appeared unaffected at around 1 Meg. I called the BT Broadband helpline and spoke to a man in India (I think) who tested the line and checked the download and upload speeds. He agreed there was a problem, tried resetting things without effect, and arranged for an engineer to call Tuesday earlier this week.

When I tested the download speed Monday evening download speed was back up to 8.5 Meg and upload still at about 1 Meg. I assumed from this that some equipment in the exchange had been reset or replaced and that the engineer would not have to call at my house. He did call and replaced my BT Home Hub 1 with a BT Home Hub 2.0. My download speed in now 12.5 Meg over wireless!

I think this shows that problems can exist in the exchange equipment, which require an engineer's visit to the exchange to fix and that a newer Home Hub can improve things even though the old Home Hub was still working okay.

Peter.

Like this post
Hrosir

Likes # 0

At this point I will try anything, believe me. I have my router plugged into the socket beneath the bt cover as suggested, this didn't make any difference to performance and the router says the connection is good.As per Sky, I changed the Adsl filter as I was told it was at fault but again just a waste of time! I was even told that it may be Windows Vista that was causing problems. Sky are adamant that everything from their side is working ok so basically its my fault, or that's how it comes across.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Hi

This should be a link to BT line test - enter your landline number and you will get an estimate of what your line will support. I appreciate you are with Sky but the line is still provided by BT Line Check

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

give a gentle hint that if they cannot fix it you are going to change your service provider

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you rebooted the router to make a new connection to sky? Disconnect cable from pc, Unplug router from mains and wait at least 30 seconds, (1 minute is better) then connect it all back up again and let router make a new connection to sky.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When doing the checks, s any of the technical people that you have contacted asked for or mentioned doing any Ping Tests?.

Like this post
Wuggy

Likes # 0

It would be helpful if you could post your router stats to see what your sync speed is with the exchange. Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your browser. In the login window which pops up your user name will be admin and the password sky (unless you have previously changed these). When the router status window opens click on the 'show statistics' window at the bottom. This will show your connection speed, line attenuation and noise margin for both downloads and uploads. Connection speed is the speed at which you sync with the exchange. Your actual throughput will be approx. 15% lower and lower still if you connect wirelessly. Line attenuation is shown in decibels. The lower the figure the closer you are to the exchange and the faster your connection speed (longer lines mean slower speeds). Sky look to have your noise margin set around 7 Db. If your margin is higher you will have some room for improvement but if lower you will be connecting at the best possible stable speed. It may be that at some time in the past you may have had router problems and Sky's dynamic line management has kicked in and automatically capped your download speed to give you a more stable connection. Checking your router stats from your usual socket and again from the test socket behind the faceplate on your master socket (if you have one) may show if you have an internal wiring problem. For really good information and advice post your problem in the unofficial Sky User forum http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Hi Hrosir,

I too, am with Sky, but a cosiderable distance from the exchange ( about 4.7Km I believe ). Although we went over our limit ( we are on the base package ) by 0.01GB sky will not tell us how or what caused this. My desktop is directly connected to the router and sky did check it out and said it was possible to get up to 3.2GB, but that, in practice, we would be lucky to get 2.7 to 2.8GB. Now whilst we are supposed to be on the 'unlimited' package I am lucky if we get more than 1.6GB!! My wife and I have had a chat and I am going to have to do a substantial amount of investigating to see if we can get - if not better speed and customer service - at least what we have from another ISP. Be very wary of sky.

Like this post
Graham.

Likes # 0

Housten Speed is measured in Mbps, not GB.

It could well be a faulty router. I was called to a friends who was having major problems getting online. Installed a spare router I had, online in seconds.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Hi, i am on Sky Broadband to. I normally get around 2 Mbps, but all day today (21/4/11) I am only getting 0.34Mbps. I contacted Sky and they said the were carrying out maintence across their whole network.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...