We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

which dongle ?

jtw57

Likes # 0

hello, i have a pc at home but have just ordered an IBM T42 Thinkpad laptop which i would like to use outside the house, but for this i would need a dongle i believe, but which one should i be looking for, and is it just a matter of plugging it in and off i go ?, im sure its plain to see that i now very little about laptops etc.

many thanks in advance

Like this post
al.reed@tiscali.co.uk

Likes # 0

This laptop almost certainly has WiFi built in so all you need is a wireless router.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

When you say you would like to use the laptop outside the house do you mean in the garden or away from home?

If you mean away from home there are several mobile broadband dongles. Just check the coverage for the area you will be visiting. I use a 3 mobile broadband dongle, but when in the north of Scotland reception was very poor. Should have had an o2 dongle for up there.

As I say - please expand on where you want to use your laptop so that the right advice can be given.

Good luck and kind regards.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Mobile broadband dongles, when you have chosen the type of contract - you just plug the dongle into your laptop, it loads the drivers and whatever you need and off you go.

Like this post
jtw57

Likes # 0

it was just to use in the garden, so it is just a matter of plugging it in and away you go so to speak?

thanks

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

If your pc uses a wireless router,you dont need anything,the laptop should pick up the sinal.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I have found that PCMCIA or PCIE cards have farther range than dongle type. Just from Personal experience though I have both

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

As has already been suggested

Provided you have a wireless router you will not need anything else by way of hardware. Your new laptop has a wireless adapter built in, and that should easily pick up the router signal in the garden.

Read the instructions that come with the laptop - they'll tell you exactly what you need to do.

Like this post
jtw57

Likes # 0

excellent, many thanks to everyone for the sound advice, much appreciated,

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites