We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to reformat my pc from master discs

menzies39

Likes # 0

I have a Packard Bell pc which is about 6 years old and is running really slowly, I've bought a laptop for myself but I want to keep the desktop for my son to use, I have 4 master discs which I created when I originally got the pc, the disc drive on the desk top is not working so I've got an external disc drive, can I reformat the pc using the external disc drive, if so how do I do this? Thanks in advance Angie

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

It should work, depending on the master disks that you created. Were these taken from a partition on the computer hard-drive?.

Like this post
menzies39

Likes # 0

I have no idea, when I 1st booted the pc up it told me to create these discs so I did but it was 6 years ago so I can't remember exactly what I did. The Packard Bell techs told me that these discs will 'make my pc brand new' but wanted me to phone them on a premium number to talk me through it.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

The discs you have created will restore your computer to new. All your personal data will be wiped in the process so ensure you have all the stuff you want off the old computer before you start.

Please confirm which disc drive is not working, cd/dvd drive or the internal hard drive?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As it's working (albeit slowly) I assume the HDD is OK. On start up, tap F2 repeatedly to get into the BIOS. There you need to change the boot order to boot from USB device first. Insert Disk 1 and reboot. Computer should now start to load the recovery programme from the external drive.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry, should added 'I think' after F2.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes