We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem after removed CleanThis

portillo

Likes # 0

Last night my computer was infected by CleanThis. I followed the instruction searched from web and removed several files and registries. I also used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware scan the computer after that. Today I found that when I adjust the volume, the default beep sound was replaced by a “beep” sound come from my computer. I also notice that there is no sound when I log on/ off the window. I have reinstalled the sound drive but the problem is still here. How could I fix the problem? Please help.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If you have the little loudspeaker icon on your task bar bottom right then right click it, select Sounds and a Window will open up showing the Sound Schemes available. Choose Windows Default and you should be baqck to normal operation. If you don't have the loudspeaker item then go to Control Panel and you will find it in there.

Like this post
portillo

Likes # 0

I have already chosen the Windows default scheme. But the scheme does not seem working as I hear no sound when i empty the recycle bin.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Go into Sounds as described earlier, scroll down to Windows Explorer, in that section you will find Empty Recycle Bin you should see that Windows Recycle is selected for this sound, if not Click on Browse, this should take you to Media, scroll down until you find Windows Recycle and select it. This is a very quiet "swish" are you sure you have the volume control up high enough to hear it?

Like this post
portillo

Likes # 0

Re: chub_tor No…I mean I have always selected the default scheme. I can select sound and I can play it too. But the reasons why I think the scheme is not working as there are no sound when I actually emptying the trash or starting windows. Also…the beep sound is come from the computer but not from the speakers.

re: l24 It’s not working. Both the service has already been started.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Do other sounds work on your PC, for example if you put in a CD or if you play one of the supplied tunes via Windows Media Player?

Like this post
portillo

Likes # 0

Yes, I can play other sound.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

There are several solutions posted here at Kelly's Korner, scroll down to the section "Where did my sounds go?" click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to get free Office 2016 today: Download the new Microsoft Office 2016 Public Preview - how to...

IDG UK Sites

Why Scottish Tablet is better than the iPad mini

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive look at the Toca Boca-inspired music promo from Colleagues

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook 1.1 GHz review (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015): The future of Apple laptops