We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Password protect folder for emailing

JoeC
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have checked the forums via the Search button for a programme to password protect a folder for emailing. I have tried Cryptainer, Truecrypt and Axcrypt as suggested in previous posts and am aware that Word lets you password protect a document.

What I want to do is put some files (photos,MP3 or document files)into a folder, password protect it, then email it to my daughter at work. When she received it, I would then let her know the password so she could view the contents of the folder.

The programmes I have tried require the recipient to have the relevant programme installed on their computer but obviously my daughter's work won't let her install anything (such as Winzip).

Can anyone suggest something that requires my daughter to open the folder knowing the password but not having to have the programme on the works computer?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

JoeC

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

is she allowed to run .exe files? If so create a self extracting zip file, if not then no, not much you can do

Like this post
JoeC

Likes # 0

I know I can create a self extracting zip file as I have Winzip on my pc. The works computer is very sensitive to stuff like exe files though. It even has a built-in checker that deletes "certain words" in emails. I was able to send her a p/w protected document but it would be a lot easier to find a programme as explained in my original post.

Thanks for the reply anyway.

JoeC

Like this post
Thalmus

Likes # 0

"The works computer is very sensitive to stuff like exe files though. It even has a built-in checker that deletes "certain words" in emails. I was able to send her a p/w protected document but it would be a lot easier to find a programm"

Do you mean you email exe files to her? If so then just change the .exe to .txt then email it to her. When she receives she renames the .txt to .exe, assuming she can run .exe (which you still haven't said if she can or not) then she will be able to extract it

If she can't run exe files or install anything then there is no way this is going to happen

Like this post  
JoeC

Likes # 0

Sorry for not making my original post clearer. I cannot send exe files as the works computer does not allow it - it blocks exe files. Besides that, the employees are not allowed to install anything. The more I think about it though, I can see your way of thinking - the works computer does have Word installed already. I just thought there might have been a piece of software that did what I was thinking about. Again though, it would have to be via a self extracting exe through something like Winzip. Ahhh, the mist is beginning to clear . . .. .

Thanks for the input anyhow.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia