We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB Keyboard on a PS/2 input

dms_05

Likes # 0

I've used a small adapter with USB female and PS/2 male to connect a USB keyboard and a USB mouse to a KVM switch with PS/2 female inputs for keyboard and mouse. This has worked well for a considerable time. I've now replaced the keyboard with another USB keyboard and simply plugged it into the female end of the adaptor. It doesn't work. Why?

I've tried the USB keyboards plugged directly into my laptop and they both work (W7 64 bit). I've even tried using a number of USB female to PS/2 male adaptors and some work and some don't even though they look absolutely identical.

Anyone any idea why this is happening (I've read a bit via Google and some recommend 'active' adaptors but can't explain why some USB keyboards work and some don't, the nearest possibility is some older keyboards draw a lot more power than modern keyboards but both of mine are modern keyboards).

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Only thing I can think is they are wired different. Have some of those adapters

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS Mine come in two colours it may be you are using the wrong colour Purple for Mouse Green for Keyboard, I think.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Is there any possibility that the new keyboard needs more Power than the old?

USB is certainly designed to deliver more Power than PS2.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I use USB to PS/2 adapters of various combinations on a regular basis for ages, and have never really had any major problems. At the present time I am using a similar set-up to yourself with a D-Link KVM switch.

Having said that, once I did try a PS/2 mouse and it just wouldn't work with the present set-up, but it did as a sole unit, and I never did find out the reason why.

With regards to the power thing. I think this is more to do with USB hubs than anything else. Some devices require powered hubs, when other devices do not, and work just as well.

I do not use W7 and know very little about it. Is there any message about 'new hardware' recognised when trying to connect the new keyboard?.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I've tried all combinations of purple and green adaptors. Some work on both keyboard and mouse and some don't work at all. Even so none work on the second (new) USB keyboard.

I found the following "ps/2 and USB ports can use different voltages... quality usb adapters have an integrated circuit that compensates the PS/2 - USB port voltage differences so it's advisable to avoid cheap adapters or rather try with a usb keyboard or mouse." which probably explains the problem. However it's odd that some adaptors (probably all the non-compensating variety) work and some don't. Also newer USB keyboards require a lot less power than PS/2 ones so it seems not a power problem but a voltage problem (however even then PS/2 requires 4.5 to 5.0 volts which is much the same as USB produces).

Like this post
connectpro_rex

Likes # 0

What's the second set of USB keyboard and mouse of this case ? Not every USB devices create equally. The USB-PS/2 converters only work for those USB devices with simple "USB endpoint".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes