We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Streaming video from BBC iPlayer

peterbj7

Likes # 0

This is encrypted and timed to expire (be deleted) from the computer typically a week after first being viewed. Just occasionally I want to keep something longer. Once downloaded by iPlayer there seems no way to bypass the encryption and save it in the normal way. but I am told there is some software somewhere that can download it without encryption. Can anyone point me towards this please?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What you are wanting to do is to circumvent a program's copyright conditions, which is probably illegal, so it would be inappropriate to post details of software here.

However, it only took me a few seconds searching in Google for "unencrypted iplayer download" to come up with a program (not free) to do the job.

Like this post
peterbj7

Likes # 0

Thank you for the post - I'll follow it up. I doubt it's illegal, though it may be a breach of my implied agreement with the BBC. But substantively what I want to do is pretty innocuous. I just want to keep one or two programs longer so I can watch them repeatedly. As it is I only get a week and given my schedule that means maybe two viewings at the most, sometimes none at all. I have often downloaded programs and never found the time to watch them before they have been deleted, and that's most irritating.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

You do get a month before your first viewing

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Get the BBC iPlayer Desktop,

From this Click here

Once BBC iPlayer Desktop is installed on your computer, click on the Download button by the programme and BBC iPlayer will start downloading it. Once the programme has saved onto your computer, you have 30 days to watch it, and you can save as many programmes as you like, depending on your computer’s capacity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote