We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

invalid xp product key

preston
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a valid xp product key and disk, but when i go through the setup on my new h/drive and get to the part where you have to enter the key, it tells me it is invalid. I have tried other valid keys and same thing. Whats going wrong.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Keys are "keyed" to certain CDs

OEM disks need OEM keys Upgrade disks need Upgrade keys Non sevice pack keys cannot be use with a XP SP2 CD etc.

Like this post  
preston

Likes # 0

I understand all what you say. I have a valid disk and key,OEM disk OEM key, so why the problem?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

This happened to me, I did a clean install using my WinXP disk. Then I was asked to enter the Key number. This was a problem, because the number was on the back of the PC. There would have had to be a big upheavel, for me to see it, so I used a mirror. I put the numbers in but they weren't accepted and it asked if I wanted to speak to someone on the phone. I said yes and spoke to a tech, he asked me for the number which i regaled him with. He also said it was incorrect. I didn't say I was reading it with the aid of a mirror. But I stuck to my guns and was adamant that the number was correct. So he gave me another number and all was fine.

Later I checked again using the mirror and realised I had mistakenly confused a 2 and a Z.

The moral of the stoy is: If you believe you are in the right, stand your ground. Who knows what the outcome may be. Afte all they can only accept or reject your statement.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...