We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet Explorer Redirecting

Chris Webster

Likes # 0

Hi,

A friend has a problem with Internet Explorer 7 on his Windows XP computer.

It keeps redirecting him to a site called uk.gomeo, I have run Malwarebytes and removed the 202 infections it found.

I also 'dumped' all the restore points incase the infections were 'stuck' in them but it still keeps redirecting.

Would resetting the hosts files back to default help resolve this problem?

Regards, Chris.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Try resetting IE to it's default settings in Internet Options Advanced Tab. I am not sure that a Hosts file reset would help.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have a look at this link, and follow some the suggestions especially Adaware and Spybot. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web%20Search/thread?tid=6949450c2c42ac7c&hl=en

Terry

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

I've cleaned a few computers with the same problem, IE and Firefox redirecting. TDSSKiller did the trick.

Like this post
MAJ

Likes # 0

bad link there try this TDSSKiller or this http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208283363

Like this post
lindyloo4

Likes # 0

I had the same problem two weeks ago. I ran every spyware and anti virus you can name. None found anything. It was as you are thinking the host file. I had 47 other entries. I used the link rawprawn has given you and all has been well since - touch wood!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

TDSS killer has worked for me on several occasions.

Like this post
lindyloo4

Likes # 0

TDSS Killer didn't pick it up for me. One of the many I tried.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sometimes it is one of the add ons that cause the problem so try running with the add ons disabled to see if it works ok.if so enable them one at a time again. Maybe try this link text

It is a pay for program but you get a 30 day trial and it will remove any problems that it finds. If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan. It will change the Host file if it finds problems in that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'