We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Netbook Protection Software - advice needed

nicky25

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I have a new netbook and am keen to get the best protection on it I can, but as i am on a very limited budget - I'm a student - I wondered if anyone can recommend the best free downloads to help prevent all the 'nasties'. I'm not entirely computer literate so don't know what all the programmes I should have are. Antivirus, firewall, anti spyware/malware....any others? Suggestions of which free downloads are best, and what exactly I need to get would be much appreciated! :) Nicola

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Anti virus - I'd go for Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a free download and doesn't hog the netbook's resources. Add to that Superantispyware. Again, a free version is available. Then for a scan every once in a while Malwarebytes - free!

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Agree with MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx but I'd use it as your only on-line security software. Then use Malwarebytes occasionally to scan your netbook. That's what I do - MSE has never missed anything but it's better to be sure.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 1

You Best Protection While its New is Create a Acronis Image to a USB Drive, it will take a long time as they are slow CPU's it took several Hours on my Samsung nc10 netbook, But I know its the best insurance you can have for a PC

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

Windows own firewall MSE MAlwarebytes and or SyuperAntispyware

All free

And some common sense about where and how you browse the web. :0)

Like this post
nicky25

Likes # 0

Thank you everyone, downloaded suggested software. What is an acronis image and how do I go about doing that? Sorry, again, I am not very computer literate I am afriad!

Thanks again! Nicola

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You Have to Buy Acronis Tue Image. This is Software that most PC users on this Forum use, New Version is 11 you can create a rescue CD after loading the Program to boot from, but it should boot direct from the Acronis CD, BIOS as to be set First for the above So that first boot Device is CD or DVD followed by Hard Drive.

After loading you Can start the Program choose Full Backup, not Incremental then Create a Image of the Main Partition that as the Operating System on it, normally C:\ This is the one that goes wrong when it will not start. The Idea being that even if the Hard Drive stopped working you can fit a new Hard Drive and Reload the Image. This would have to be on DVD or a External USB drive.

For more Help on using it come back and post a thread

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Look Hear for your Operating System If 7 its the top two

link text

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sorry you need a External DVD drive to load it

Like this post
nicky25

Likes # 0

Not got an external dvd drive :(

What is look hear?

Nicola

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?