We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Curious Empty Frame on screen

Chas49

Likes # 0

For some time I have seen two frames appear momentarily on the screen - far to quick to read the heading. By using a camcorder to record the screen from boot up I managed to get a view of that frame (although not a good one!) The heading of the frame contains the words "Hotmail.com - Windows Live - Mozilla firefox" I am indeed using Firefox 4 and the OS is Win7. The frames are both empty.

Has anyone experienced similar frames appearing briefly a short time after booting up and know how to stop them.

Advice welcomed.

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

I have managed to read the second of the two frames which flash on my screen.

quote:

Invalid Argument Usego EnPrivjob [/v] [/wait:vg] [/OCURActivate | /OCURDiscovery | /DRMInit | /DoUpdateRecordPath | /OCURUnregister | /DoConfigureInternetTimeService ]

As I no knowledge of this could it be that someone has tried to 'take over my computer' and failed but have left something which malware cannot detect? I would appreciate some advice as what to do about this - short of a reinstall which I would carry out as a last resort.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

'EnPrivjob' seems to me to be a scheduled task related to the InternetTimeService have you checked in 'Date and Time' properties for the way in which your pc synchronises with the time server? Maybe when it tries to check you are not connected to the internet and that causes it to give that message.

Description of the scheduled tasks expand the table to get it to display all the text

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

Thanks, that sounds a very logical reason for what is happening. I'll check into that.

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

I felt sure lotvic that you had the answer. I have switched off the syncronisation but this has had no effect - the frames still appear after each boot, the only different is the time interval before they appear after booting up. Nevertheless lotvic my thanks for your suggestion and, perhaps, other such good ideas will be offered.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Any clues in Event Viewer?

W7 Click on the "Orb", In the Search box, type in eventvwr and press Enter.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Also, why didn't you just update the time instead of switching off syncronisation

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

I have run the various items in the string quoted on the second frame through BING and it would seem that my fears of someone trying to 'take over' my machine are, I'm glad to say, incorrect. It would seem that my machine is trying to access a Digital TV Tuner - and this I don't have - hence the invalid message. Perhaps one of my programs is sending out this call - 'trying to call home?'. Whatever, I can relax as it appears harmless. 8-)

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

Lotvic:

I did update it before rebooting, switched off syncro when that didn't work. Syncro now switched back on and this set to sync once a week.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

well, at least it's nowt to worry about :)

Like this post
Chas49

Likes # 0

I have tried the Event Viewer and it tells me (along with many other things which frankly I just do not understand).

It appears that 42 errors reported ding the last hour, it quotes an ID of 7000 and lists the Service Control Manager.

Now, I did make several alterations (via msConfig) in an attempt to cut down the number of items to be loaded at startup. It appears that I have inadvertently caused this problem in doing this!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...