We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External disk dead

peterbj7

Likes # 0

I have a WD desktop (mains powered) 1.5tb USB HD that I bought a few months ago. I don't use it much (maybe 30 accesses from new) and it is never moved from my desk. When not actually in use it is totally disconnected from power and other devices. Recently I tried to use it and it wouldn't power up - totally dead. The previous time it had worked perfectly, and as always I had been careful to dismount it correctly. I tried the external power supply in another similar drive I have and it worked just fine. I tried the proven power supply from that other external drive in the faulty one and nothing ... still dead. The drive is under warranty, but I have confidential material on it that I do not want anyone else to see, so I don't want to send it to WD (a waste of time anyway, from previous experience).

Not powering up it is of course not recognised by Windows.

Can any one suggest what may have gone wrong and what I can do about it?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you can get the Drive out I would suggest trying it in another Case. As the Electronics may have failed in the case

Like this post
torver

Likes # 0

I had a similar experience recently, no power, nothing. I removed hard drive to attach to PC, it was working fine. I then reassembled it and it worked. Go Figure. Something to try if you want to delve deeper and if all else fails attach to main PC directly that way you can copy all files across.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

For my ext Seagate Desktop HDD, taking the thing to bits was easy, apart from snapping most of the case tabs off. Mine were buggers even when I could see how they should come apart.

Like this post
peterbj7

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to dismantle the enclosure, though at present I can't see how. Anyone know with a current-model WD mains-powered enclosure?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have just looked at mine. Not a screwhead to be seen anywhere, but, if all appears lost, then ones Burgulars Kit would come in handy. A Jemmy for instance.

Have a look here first link text

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

This post started to bother me.- How to get into the enclosure? I too have an external HD case of obscure origin and found no screws! I put it in there in the first place but how?

The answer in my 'case' is to look at the long side of the enclosure and see where the moulded fluting goes 'solid' into an oval shape close to one end of the case. There is a similar moulding on the other long side. Now simply squeeze these oval areas between finger and thumb and the whole cover will come away on one side of the box.

Yours may be entirely different!!

Incidentally this is backyard engineering, the HD is free to rattle around in the box.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

True backyard engineering is securing important items by means of an old empty cigarette pack ;-)

How to open...wade through these. link text

Don't forget if there are any screws, may be hidden under labels or rubber feet. My Seagate was screwless though, until inside. Then metal box with small screws for the HDD.

Like this post
peterbj7

Likes # 0

Well so far I haven't found the slightest chink in the case, though clearly there has to be a seam somewhere. No screws, no rubber plugs, one label that I'm pretty sure doesn't have a screw underneath. I don't know why they make them this way, when clearly they're not 100% reliable and do need opening from time to time.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Is it the 'Elements' WD?

link text

Like this post
peterbj7

Likes # 0

Yes I believe so. I can't check until tomorrow as it's with a friend.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015