We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ethernet Cable in new house build

morrisp

Likes # 0

Hi I am in the process of a new house build and all the ceiling joists etc are still open. I want some advice on routing of CAT5e (or similar) ethernet cable.

My broadband enters the house in my office; do I run a cable from my office to each of the rooms where there could be PC usage? ie in my office I would end up with 6 ethernet sockets on the wall, one that connected to each room. Is that correct?

Thanks Peter

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Yes you can do it that way or you could use the mains wiring to carry the signal and use a homeplug network, or even go wireless.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

If you decide to go for a CAT5 network, be careful how you run the cables. Avoid any possibility of kinking - don't introduce sharp bends, and don't run the CAT5 in the same conduits as power cables - keep it separated from them.

Be very careful with cable clips - it's easy to pinch the cable, and make sure you get the end plugs wired correctly. click here for more information about wiring the plugs

Like this post
morrisp

Likes # 0

Thanks for that P

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Morrisp

You will need either a six port router or a six port hub fed from your router, not six Ethernet sockets on the wall of your office

Like this post
powerless1

Likes # 0

If I had a situation like that I would install a few more than you actually need. In case of failure (never had a cable fail, usually it's the RJ45's that have been crushed) or you want to connect more devices.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback