We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

XP PRO - BSODs after reinstall

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

After many problems, fresh install of XP Pro on aging PC. Crashes after completing boot sequence. More reliable in Safe Mode, but still fails at times when downloading updates. Loads of files in the Minidump folder, but no idea how to read them (can't make head or tail of the MS page on the matter).

Any ideas what may be causing this (I'm guessing driver)? I've replaced the gloop between CPU and heatsink. Thanks.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

BSOD's can be a multitude of things - sometimes accompanied by error message. Have a look through the above LINK first. Could be down to a driver update.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks northumbria61. That's the page I found - I'll go and try to follow it. I have been able to get to Device manager, and 3 items are yellow exclam marked. Tried to download drivers for them (in safe mode) but it's crashed each time at the last minute. Wondering whether to try a graphics card in case it's the on-board chip that's triggering it.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Managed to install the drivers. Still crashing after a variable amount of time. Wondered about PSU - tried a spare - just the same. Error messages vary. Can't get the info in the link to work. Might try again tomorrow!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

BSOD problems as you are already aware are sometimes difficult to track down as there can be so many causes. It really is a process of elimination and/or update(s) of drivers - I can see you are slowly working your way through. Keep this updated as there may be others who may also be able to help.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you installed the Motherboard Drivers, As I think same as you its a Driver Problem

Like this post
ashdav

Likes # 0

As you had problems before and there are ongoing problems with a reinstall I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a new computer. You can spend endless hours with this and never have full confidence that you have resolved the problem (whatever it was. You didn't say).

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I have been spending time on it out of interest - i certainly shan't make any money! It's a problem I've not had before, and am interested to try to find the solution, working through the possibilities as northumbria says. I'll try finding updated mobo drivers (if I can get it to last long enough to do so). I'm also going to try a 2nd hand PCI graphics card - just in case. If not, my friend has a new door stop!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The doorstop is getting closer! Put in a PCI graphics card, set the BIOS to boot from that first. As soon as the Windows screen came up, PC shut down. I'm going to try one more full reinstall the that's it!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Well I never! Full install with a 'long' reformat (as opposed to the 'quick' that I used before). All seems stable and working normally. We live and learn!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do