We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless connection

bturner

Likes # 0

Hello,

I have a Netgear wired router that I have been using for a few years with BT Broadband but I would like to set up my wireless netgear router so that I can use my laptop in the lounge. It is a Packard Bell easynote that has integrated wireless 802.11 b/g/n networking.

The Router power and ethernet lights are on as they should be but I am not able to open webpages.

I expect there are settings that I need to input and I would be grateful for any assistance.

Like this post
ciscodisco

Likes # 0

Hello,

Step 1: If you haven't already done this.

Before you can connect to the wireless router you will need to configure the wireless router to work with your ISP (BT broadband) and appropriate settings for your laptop.

To do this you will need to plug a computer into the wireless router using an Ethernet Cable and use the CD provided. You may need to contact BT for the Internet settings and for further assistance.

Netgeat Quick Start Guide:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:zkopD5jbXWoJ:kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/aid/1910+netgear+step+by+step+guides&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgJ-JVShJsJ7uB7FJTgq35AkBhpLmrnIomd950pOzLuyJ63LQOl86zSJcHG8PvJLsMdoiWes-QMsN2FScY3OQ67F8FJimpnbtHTNTuu69uc5jUisuKwvcw-0lpugQTxbdIQyK&sig=AHIEtbThA4DHlmB1J809SjrPNRsujfspA

You should be able to find a manual or a link to more resources relating to you router on the CD.

Step 2: Once your wireless router is set-up you will need to connect the laptop to your wireless router.

If you are using Windows7 or Windows Vista you should see a little wireless icon on the bottom right of your start bar. Click this and then on the name of your router.

This links explains the process in more detail: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/View-and-connect-to-available-wireless-networks

Like this post
ciscodisco

Likes # 0

Oh it doesn't like web links LOL, Try these:

Netgear Quick Start Guide

Microsoft Wireless Adapter help sheet

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Network4444, thanks a lot for your detailed reply, very helpful.

I followed those steps and want to connect to BTFon.

Is there a standard Network security key for BT in the UK or does it vary from area to area? I try to avoid calling BT unless it is really necessary.

Like this post
ciscodisco

Likes # 0

Hello

If you have created your own wireless network you will have to enter the security key that you chose or the one which is used by default.

Unfortunately I don't use BT so I don't know how BTfon works!!

I would imagine that to log into a BTfon hotspot you use your username and password created when taking out the contract.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

If it is an ISP supplied router the encryption key will be on the bottom of the router

Like this post
bturner

Likes # 0

Thank-you both for your replies.

Years ago I used my ISP British Telecom supplied voyager routrer. But I had 2 overheat causing connection problems, they denied it was the cause but as soon as I bought a netgear router and paid the shop to set it up for me the internet worked fine again and this wired router has lasted me many years.

I bought this new wireless Netgear DG834GSPv3 router off Ebay, still in it's original unopened packaging. It does say "Vodafone" on the box and the guy I bought it off told me it was supplied by his ISP at the time but he never wanted or needed it.

It does have the default access HTTP://192.168.0.1 username and password on the bottom which is the same as my wired router. And a serial number but no encryption key which would not work on BTFon anyway. I was hoping the security/encryption key would be standard/default and someone would know it.

I have not taken out a contract for BTFon, I thought this was available to me as I have been subscribed to BT Broadband for years. Maybe I am wrong on that point.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......