We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Monitoring Network Up and Downloads

Seadog

Likes # 0

Hi Guys, Maybe this should be on the networking forum but I thought I'd try here first.

In the system, we have a network set up with six wireless access points hard wired to a hub, this in turn is connected to a router which then connects to the internet.

There are no computers connected to the network other than when an individual connects for internet access, that is all the system is used for, there is no traffic or file transfer between users. Its a similar system to what you would find at an airport I suppose.

We really need to keep an eye on the amount of upload/download each individual uses so that the we have fair usage for all as we have an allowance to adhere to, does anyone know of any software we can use to monitor individuals usage when they connect to the network. And of a way to do it - will we need to connect a computer between the hub and router and so on.

Any help will be appreciated.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Have a look at Networx. link text

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Over recent months I have been playing around with a number of D/L-U/L networking programs. One that I have downloaded this weekend is JD's Auto Speed Tester . Apology for not providing a link, but you might try the forum www.broadbandhelper.co.uk/forums/36-jds-auto-speedtester/.

JD's stands for Jack Dinn's.

Might be worth a search, to see if it fits the bill. So far over the last 24 hours, it seems okay to me, but one router and multiple connections might be a problem, I haven't got that far yet!.

Like this post
Seadog

Likes # 0

Thanks for that guys, but those programs only seem to monitor the total usage, we need a program or some sort of system that will monitor the amount of each user who connects to the wireless network system.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad