We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD regions

exdragon
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi - I'm just trying a dvd in my new laptop in case there is a problem and I have to return the machine.

It's HP MediaSmart and I got the message that the laptop is set to Region 0 and can only be changed 5 times to a different region. The dvd is Region 2. I checked on Region 0, which is apparently a general setting.

Does this mean that I would have to change the setting from 0 to 2 each time I want to play a dvd, or does the first change become the default setting?

Thanks.

Like this post
Green 1

Likes # 0

Hi, as we are in region 2 you should put it on 2 and leave it there, if you alter it and the fifth time is say region 1 it will lock itself on that one and you will not be able to play reg 2 dvd's, you can get a programme that let's you play all regions but unless you intend to buy region 1,3,4,5, keep it on 2. Hope this helps, Brian.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Thanks - all my stuff will be the same region, 2, but I wasn't sure if I had to change the laptop's settings each time I put in a Region 2 disk, or if the settings would be saved as 2.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Region setting There are actually up to 3 region protections on a system: - 1 in the DVD drive - 1 in the Operating System (windows) - More info on Windows region management. - 1 in the software player (eg. WinDVD, PowerDVD...)

When you flash your drive with a region free firmware (RPC-1), you remove the region counter from the drive itself completely, but with this counter gone, the software counters kick in to replace the one from the DVD drive. This means that you still have these other 2 to defeat!!!. An alternate region free solution that is available for some drives is known as an "Autoreset" firmware: Instead of removing the counter from the drive completely, the counter simply resets itself to an unlocked state when the computer is restarted. This way, the drive appears as region protected (RPC-2) but the counter can be changed indefinitely. Creating autoreset patches is slightly more difficult for the patcher, but makes the life of the user easier because DVD Genie and Region Killer are not required as they are for RPC-1 firmwares. On the other hand, it's easy for software manufacturers to detect autoreset firmwares, and if they decide to do so, you will still need a software patch in the long run. This is why RPC-1 firmwares are seen by most as the long term solution.

So, unless a program like DISCInfo http://discinfo.rpc1.org/ or Drive Region Info tells you that your drive is still protected or you used an autoreset firmware, your drive IS region free, and any region counters that you still see come from software region settings.

To bypass that, you need to use programs such as DVD Genie http://www.inmatrix.com/genie/ or DVD Region Killer http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/DVD%20region%20killer%20v2.7.0.2.exe (the later is highly recommanded).

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

That's a very comprehensive reply, but I must confess to not understanding much of it! I found a setting in Device Manager to set the default to 2, which seems to have worked.

If I find it doesn't, I may come back...

Thanks.

Like this post  
rickf

Likes # 0

Why would you want to change it? Region 0 is Region Free so no restrictions. Play any DVDs you want as normal.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

If you install VLC media player and set it as the default movie player you will be able to play DVD`s from any world region without ever again being prompted to change the drive region setting

Cheers HC

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger