We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Video links freeze after 5sec

alternator

Likes # 0

Running XP sp3 using latest Firefox browser. I have recently found that clicking on links with video(e.g. face-book you-tube) the page loads and the video runs for about 5secs then freezes. If the link is closed then clicked again this time it runs for about 10secs, each time if you cancel the link and reselect it seems to run for a bit longer each time. I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas why this should have happened. This is only a recent phenomenon,videos used to run without any problem. I can't think of anything I have done/downloaded that has resulted in the video not running for the full length

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Are the links you are clicking on in HD format,if so, you machine may not have the processing power to deal with it.

If you have not already, download the latest version of Flashplayer, to help speed up graphics.

Make sure no other programs are running in the background (except your virus checker) Terry

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Try this...Turn off all your 'add-ons' then try again. If OK, put them back on, one at a time till you find the culprit.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a go and report back on the results.

Like this post
alternator

Likes # 0

Tried disabling all 'add-ons', Processing power & memory should be no problem. Have checked and am up to date with flash player v 10.2. The only extra thing I have done is update Firefox to version 4, but I am afraid that doesn't help either. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to uninstall Firefox and reinstall, I think the answer to that would be NO. As if I copy the link to Internet Explorer I get the same result with only 5secs of video. So I am pretty sure it is not the browser that is at fault.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

When you say that the video "freezes", do you mean it stops with the "wait" whirligig whizzing aorund in the middle? In other words, is it buffering?

If so, then have you tried watching those same videos at a different time of day - say in the middle of the morning - when there are fewer people using the internet? And at the time when you experience the problem, have you tried running an adsl download speed test?

Your problem might simply be an increase in the contention for your bandwidth - lots of other people online at the same time as you.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Building on Pineman 100, it could be that your connection speed is just not fast enough to do the job, try a program like this http://www.testmyspeed.com/ . if you get a very low reading, that is your problem.

Who is your ISP provider? Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen