We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Suppressing update messages

Tycho

Likes # 0

My wife is has a Standard User account on my Vista HP Laptop. She is not very computer literate and does not know how to respond when appications or Windows asks her to approve or disallow ugrades/changes. Can I suppress these messages on her account?

T

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Open User Account Control Settings by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type uac, and then click Change User Account Control settings. Set to

Never notify

If you're logged on as a standard user, any changes that require the permissions of an administrator will automatically be denied.

If you select this setting, you'll need to restart the computer to complete the process of turning off UAC. Once UAC is off, people that log on as administrator will always have the permissions of an administrator.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

You may find that suppressing such messages also affects your account as you will be using the same software. I suggest you tell her to always click the 'not now' or 'no' option as you can always manually update later. If this doesn't suit, have a look at: link text link text

There may be other options for specific software but you will need to look at each to determine what is available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes