We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BIOS problems?

Storic12
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have had problems with the following computer set up for about four months now and the owner has returned it to me for the fifth time. Can anyone help, please?

Asus M4A785TD-M EVO. – AM3 motherboard AMD Athlon II 240 cpu 4 GB KINGSTON ValueRam (2 x 2 GB kit) – since changed to Crucial Western Digital Cavia Blue 500GB Sata HDD LiteOn 18x int SATA DVDROM Sony 24x int. SATA DVDRW Enermax Liberty 400W Modular ATX PSU ECO iBox Cube Micro ATX PC Case

This computer has constantly frozen with BSOD screen in Windows XP Professional 32 bit OS. The Bios resets itself, and then frequently refuses to boot – leaving just a black screen with no error beeps. I have to use the jumpers to clear the BIOS and reset it. The computer may then run for anything up to five or six days without problems and then falls over again. I suspected that the cpu may be over heating but this is very unlikely as the temperature shows in “Asus Probe” as anything from 37oC – 42oC maximum, depending on work load. (I have fitted four cooling fans into the case – three at back and one large Enermax fan to the front.) Have tried the following: 1) Changed the memory to a Crucial kit (2 x 2GB) compatible with board. 2) Have installed a PCI Express Graphics Card – uninstalled drivers for onboard ATI graphics. 3) Have successfully flashed the BIOS to the latest from Asus. 4) Have reseated the PSU with necessary thermal grease. 5) Have used both sets of memory slots. 6) Everything in the BIOS is set to “auto” and there is no overclocking. I have now run out of ideas and would appreciate some thoughts on this problem. I am beginning to suspect that this is a motherboard fault. What do you think?

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Change MoBo

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As above Change MoBo

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I know not a lot about computers but could it be the CMOS Battery needing replaced.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

New CMOS battery

Like this post
Storic12

Likes # 0

Thanks to all for your replies. I had thought of a new CMOS battery (do have a spare) but this motherboard was purchased at the end of June last year (29th to be exact) and this shouldn't be the problem - however it is worth a try. thanks. I am desperately hoping that it is NOT a faulty motherboard because this computer was exasperating to build in such a small case - much blood shed and squished fingers! :-) Thanks to all - will update later.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Now you are posing a different setup as it could be overheating. can you try it without the case on

Like this post
Storic12

Likes # 0

Woodchip: Thanks for your reply. I have run the computer without the casing and it didn't make any difference. I'm not convinced it is the CMOS battery either, but will give it a try. I think you were probably right first time. :-)

Like this post
Storic12

Likes # 0

Have fitted a new CMOS battery and the computer booted OK, but as this is the equivelent of clearing the BIOS via the jumpers I wasn't holding my breath. Everything worked fine, Windows booted without problems and I tested the sound with a music CD, tried out a minor game, loaded and edited a couple of photographs and everything was OK. Did a soft boot, closed down, rebooted and again loaded a music CD. The computer came up with a BSOD screen (memory dump etc) - wouldn't close down. Switched off via computer on/off button and then (after 30 seconds) switched on again. Nothing! Blank screen no error bleeps. Motherboard is being returned. :-(

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 launch event live: Windows 9 launch live blog - find out first as the new Windows is...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK