We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I got my laptop back from the tech guys today.

SJM_81

Likes # 0

They told me they might not be able to change the battery due to it not being covered. When it went into repair the battery wasn't working at all. Now it works but its been charging hours and has only charged 20%.

Have they done something to get a bit of life out my old battery, or is it likely they have replaced it with a dodgy one?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Could be either. Have you no paperwork to say what work they have done?

How old is the laptop? When did you buy it and from where?

Also what was the fault that caused you to send it to the Tech Guys?

and of course, what make and model is it?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

How old the Laptop, as battery as to be covered by warranty for some time and depends on use and length of time you have had it

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"They told me they might not be able to change the battery due to it not being covered."

Covered by what? It's certainly covered by the Distance selling regulations if it's less than six months old. Otherwise it may be covered under the provisions of the Sale of Goods Act.

Much depends on the date of purchase. Tell us when you bought the machine from PC World and we'll be better placed to offer advice.

Like this post
SJM_81

Likes # 0

Ive got paper work but they haven't ticked the boxers for what works been done. It was mainly the AC adapter and touch pad it went in for.

Its quite an old laptop, but Ive stupidly been paying the £10 pound a month for about 6 years so thought I'd get it repaired before stopping the direct debit.

Its a Compaq presario v600.

Thanks.

Like this post
SJM_81

Likes # 0

Well that's strange, i had the laptop on since 11 am and it only charged to 20%. I thought the power meter was wrong so unplugged the power and it lasted about 20 minutes. Ive just checked the power meter again, been on charge just over an hour, and its at 100 % now?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Could be hopeful (but don't get hopes up)

Battery may need 'calibration' after all this time with dodgy charger.

Run down and full recharge 3 times to see what the levels settle at.

Don't forget to cancel DD. I must get onto my brother who did same recently (6 months ago) and wishes he hadn't.

I bet he has forgotten. Busy man.

I also have a Compaq. And have had others. Personally, I don't bother replacing battery when they go. On the rare occasions I go out with a laptop, can almost always find a socket.

I had a look for batteries out of interest just now. Compaq seem to be around £40. £27 was cheapest I could see from China.

Like this post
SJM_81

Likes # 0

Cheers.

False hope i thing, pulled the power out and it lasted two Min's before it shut down lol!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Don't forget to cancel DD

When you do that, make sure that you notify the recipient - don't just cancel it without telling anyone.

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that in ten years you've paid for another decent laptop under this scheme, and now yours is so old that it's probably not worth investing a penny in it. You will have no recourse under Consumer law, because of the age of the machine, and my advice is to do what robinofloxley says, and use it with the mains adapter - forget about the battery altogether.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

£10 a month for six years. would have been cheaper to save and buy a new laptop. think now of the power they have etc compared to your old one. and a lot less money

Like this post
SJM_81

Likes # 0

Ok...just never canceled and could afford it. Lesson learnt any way. I'm buying a new laptop but want this one for spare.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite