We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Explorer' not seeing LaCie USB HD

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I am not sure what is going on in my desktop. I have a 500GB LaCie USB 2.0 external hard drive which I use for backing up ( and any ideas on free back up programmes would be welcome as I am pulling my hair out with various ones I have tried so far! ). However I switched the LaCie on and plugged it into my desktop. Normally I get 'autoplay' coming up and I can decide what to do, but this hasn't happened! what is most disturbing is that if I plug USB pen drive in it is recognised and is listed in 'Windows Explorer' and on the bottom right of my screen where I can take it out by clicking on 'Eject' in my 'Hidden Icons' BUT whilst the LaCie is shown in the 'Hidden Icons' it is not listed by 'Explorer', which - presumably - means I can not use the drive for backing up. And what is ( even worse? ) the drive is not listed when I click on ‘Computer’, although if I plug in a pen drive that shows up. I have tried switching the LaCie drive on and off several times and have re-booted the machine with the LaCie drive being kept switched on with no changes in 'Explorer'!! At the moment I have, therefore, no way of backing up and I am getting a bit desperate!! HELP!! Any ideas will be very gratefully received.

PS I attempted to post this but only got ‘Please Wait…..’ in the box under ‘Tags’. I thought the FE had said this problem had been sorted? Whatever has – or has not – happened everyone should take a little extra care when posting!

PPS This is seventh attempt!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ghost device conflicts are the mostly cause especially for devices that are connected and disconnected regularly i.e. pen drives, external drives, mp3 devices and phones.

Remove all USB devices

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdevicesview.html

Download and run

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you are switching the drive on and off or removing USB plug while windows is running, the Drive will be corrupted

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your replies, but it went banana shaped on sunday pm - yesterday. Being a smart a* I decided to do a system restore! I don't know if you have tried this but BE VERY CAREFUL!! It didn't work, so I tried several things on Sunday afternoon - including a repair from the original MS disk that installed Windows 7 in the first place and two so-called recovery disks. NOTHING worked, so I had to get a very good repairer in and he has fixed it!! So now everything is working OK - well known hope and/or phrase! - so I will be using MS backup initially but will try Acronis true image to see how that works!!

As I said, many thanks for your replies but in trying to be clever it all went pear-shaped. Which only goes to show that a little knowledge can be a very expensive stupidity!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014